Friday, January 23, 2009

Richard the quitter

A Canucks fan named Richard sent a letter to Canucks Nation (Canucks section of the Province) stating:

"My heart can't take it any more. I've been a Canucks fan for over 30 years. Every year we are fooled into believing this will be THE year or at least this year will be a better year.

"I fall for the hype every time, but after last night's game ... something died in me.

"I've never felt that disappointed by a loss in my life. I was so upset, in fact, that it carried over to my relationship with my wife. I snapped at her over the dumbest of things. She was an innocent bystander and not a hockey fan. That anger that was wrongly aimed at my wonderful wife was an anger so powerful I couldn't contain it. An anger expressed because of my emotional tie to a stupid sports team.

"I will never let that happen again.

"I proved to myself that watching, cheering and supporting the Canucks has finally come to an end. Period.

"The time I wasted watching the Canucks games I will now spend with my wife and daughter."
While I can appreciate Richard's passion for the Canucks over the years, I just have 3 questions:

1. Is that Richard Brodeur? Haha.
2. Isn't it a little early to be hopping of the wagon this season?
3. Has anyone seen my gun? I want to take this guy out behind the barn and put him out of his misery.

I swear, this is what an All Star break after a losing streak does to some people. They have too much time to think. Have a stiff drink and suck it up already. I think sometimes that the stupid #7 banner should be taken down from the rafters at GM Place.

Read more on Richard's little boo-fucking-hoo story here. There is plenty of reactions from the fans as well. Most agree with Richard, for the most part.

Once the Canucks get rolling again, Ricky will jump back on the wagon I'm sure.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At January 23, 2009 at 9:42 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

The guy is probably more right than wrong. I feel the same damned way, and yet year after year I cheer for this team (except the Linden-less years, I withdrew my support!).

At what point does the "same old same old" stop being entertaining?

 
At January 23, 2009 at 10:15 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I can agree with the years of agony. But the quitting part is kind of silly.
In a sense I almost did the same thing with the Leafs..but not really.

 
At January 23, 2009 at 10:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me thinks Richard needs a few days of surfing in Hawaii...and he should definitely leave his wife at home!

 
At January 23, 2009 at 10:50 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I don't get is why he would have an embarassing hissy fit and then WRITE IN TO A MAJOR NEWSPAPER about it. Maybe his wife wrote the letter and forced him to sign it...

Also, I don't get the "winning is everything" mentality. I love the Canucks and every game, I want them to win, and I'm sacrificing small animals to the hockey gods nightly hoping that they'll get into the playoffs. But I also love to watch them play, win or lose. If all that matters is winning, then why not just catch the scores on Sportsnet and not "waste your time" watching the games.

I think Richard needs to get laid.

 
At January 24, 2009 at 12:04 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Nucker...those are my thoughts as well. There's highs and lows. I've been entertained by both over the years.
Richard never should have exposed himself as such a pussy in a major paper. It's like I said, once the team starts winning he'll sit in front of his TV and watch...cheer and cry and cheer some more.
To me, this is potentially the best Canucks team I've seen in years. Once they get their shit together, and I believe they will, good times will ensue.
Guess I'm more positive than Richard.

 
At January 24, 2009 at 8:44 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you're just getting laid more:)

 
At January 24, 2009 at 9:05 a.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Since Richard stopped watching hockey, his "getting laid" factor has increased 300%. I mean, what else is he gonna do with all lthat free time?

 
At January 24, 2009 at 10:39 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard says he has been following the Canucks for 30 years, so that puts him in his 40's, maybe?

If that's the case, he probably ain't been gettin' much.

And since he freaked out on his wife, something tells me he won't be getting any for a loooong time.

When he finally does, he'll send a letter to The Province.

 
At January 24, 2009 at 11:32 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

No, I don't think we'll ever hear from Ricky again.
The wife is just part the side show. She's probably been pestering him to stop watching hockey...he now obliges....so you know what happens next! haha

Why are we talking about his sex life???

Point his he fails.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.