Friday, January 23, 2009

Canucks R&R (some in Hawaii) / Players being suspended for skipping All Star Game

From Canucks.com:

Last year Willie Mitchell and his wife went to Maui with nothing more than swimming and sun tanning on the agenda. That plan lasted about a day with Mitchell getting caught in a few waves.


“I surfed quite a bit last year,” said Mitchell. “I really enjoyed it and I’m addictive with things like that so we decided to go again this year.”

Mitchell and his wife will be far from alone this time around; his unwavering love for Maui perked the ears of a few teammates who are also making the trip this year.

Among them are Kyle Wellwood, Mattias Ohlund, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Steve Bernier and Shane O’Brien.

Everyone is psyched to get away for a few days and recharge for the task ahead, especially Bernier, having always wanted to visit Hawaii.

“Usually I don’t like to travel much because we travel a lot all year, but I think it’ll be good to just relax and think about something else,” said Bernier, who admitted he’s tempted, but a little scared, to hang ten with Mitchell.
Hell, the whole team minus Sundin (working out in Vancouver), Raymond and Luongo (All Star participants) should go to Hawaii. It would be good for chemistry.
CDC raises a very appropriate question however.
The Canucks have lost six straight games and eight of their past nine with only a pair of wins in 2009, leaving some to argue that the team has been on an early vacation. Do they deserve more time off? Or would they be better served by immediately building on Tuesday's OT loss in San Jose?
Do they deserve more time off? No. I'd say yes if I was a nice guy. It would have been great for them to build on the effort against San Jose but may lose momentum taking a week off. At the same time, clearing their minds may help.
The other part of this issue is that when they return to action on the 28th, it's back at home against Nashville. It's too bad the road trip didn't go a little longer so that they could stay away from the slaughterhouse that can be GM Place in recent weeks.



From TSN:
The NHL says it will enforce an understanding that all players who decline to show after being named to the All-Star teams must miss at least one game before or one game after the All-Star weekend.

NHL vice-president Colin Campbell said that the league pushed for the rule because too many players were skipping the game without good reason.

''We've all got obligations to the fans, the rights holders - this game is being televised around the world,'' Campbell said.
2 players have already been suspended: Pavel Datsyuk and Niklas Lidstrom. There's 2 guys you wouldn't expect, huh?

I'm a little torn on the matter. I do understand the NHL's position on it but...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At January 23, 2009 at 2:29 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Stories like the Maui trip make me want to piss in the face of any player who complains about the toughness of their job or how it's hard dealing with the pressure or what a pain it is putting up with travel and all that. I read that stuff and just felt RAGE.

You dinks get paid millions of dollars playing a game while the economy tanks and thousands of people are getting laid off! We fans should be allowed to shoot you with paintballs as you walk down the street and you should LIKE IT.

See, at least Mats is putting in the effort since he knows he sucks. Perhaps less ice-fishing and poker playing and more workouts while trying to decide what to do with himself might have helped, however.

Phew ok, I'm done. That was kind of fun! I find it really weird how that's a story on Canucks.com, though.. No switch over to economic austerity I guess.

~LeafFanInVan

 
At January 23, 2009 at 2:40 p.m. , Blogger Charity said...

Shane O'Brien... SURFING?...

I can't think of it. I might spontaneously combust thanks to over-squee.

Haha... just kidding... (sort of).

but suspensions for skipping the All-star game... I don't know how to feel about that. I guess when they're big names like Datsyuk & Lidstrom, maybe they feel fans are being robbed... and maybe we are... I can't see that I feel particularly sorry about not seeing them, but certainly the All-Star teams aren't quite the same without them... so, have I -- a fan -- been cheated?

Good question. I don't have an answer.

 
At January 23, 2009 at 2:44 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Whoa there cowboy! haha
Bah, their job is tough. It's good for them to get away for a bit. Some people cope that way. Who cares if they're millionaires? The fans make them that way.

I'm not angering you am I?

 
At January 23, 2009 at 2:46 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Fin: My sentiments exactly...about the All Star game attendance. Personally I couldn't give a rat shit about the game or the event. To me, it's making me wait 1 damned week to watch hockey that matters! Dammit! :)

Over-squee????? You funny. You always did like O'Brien didn't you?

 
At January 23, 2009 at 2:47 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Nah, not getting mad anymore, it's definitely a case of supply and demand. I guess bitching about your job and seeking any opportunity to get a break is just human nature anyway, hence my reading blogs while at work ;)

DAMN I SUCK!

~LFIV

 
At January 23, 2009 at 2:50 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I don't feel bad at all about them making that kind of money. Hell, if I was talented enough to play hockey at an elite level, you better be sure I'd want big bucks too. I do feel bad about the crazy ticket prices, but only in the same way I feel bad about the increased cost of everything else.

Suspensions for missing the all-star game should only be allowed if it is written into the players contract. The League shouldn't arbitrarily punish players. After all, why should they feel obligated to attend, unless it is written in their contract as part of their job requirement?

 
At January 23, 2009 at 2:58 p.m. , Blogger James said...

I'm actually not against them making the big bucks, but while the season is on and they get a "break" they should be hitting the gym and practicing. Especially if the team hasn't been all that keen as of late.

Once their season is over they can go wherever they want and sit on the beach or hit the buffet (welly). But come on, if the results aren't there get to friggin' work! If I'm missing deadlines or whatever I'll be in on the weekend slavin'. I just don't see that kind of work ethic at work there. That was my main displeasure, really.

 
At January 23, 2009 at 5:20 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell, I used to work with actors making the same kind of money who were waaay bigger whiners. And they were royal pains in the ass. At least hockey players don't complain about the size of their motorhomes, or whose credit is gonna be first when the movie comes out.

Trust me...These guys earn their money. And they do it with a certain amount of grace. At least THEY don't get stunt doubles to do the tough stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.