Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Canucks-Predators Preview: Updated all day

I think Elliot Papp from the Vancouver Sun summed up all of our thoughts on the potential post-All Star Break Canucks squad storyline:

Mats Sundin is here. The all-star break is over. Roberto Luongo is back. The schedule isn't bad. The Canucks are almost completely healthy. I don't know about you but I can't find one itty-bitty excuse for this team if it continues its follies of the previous three weeks. The Canucks found every conceivable way in which to lose a game in the last six -- fall behind, catch up and then lose; fall behind and never catch up; take the lead and blow it; lose in regular time; lose in overtime; lose in a shootout. They lost to lousy road teams, lousy power-play teams, teams without their No. 1 goalie, teams with a rookie goalie and teams who pulled their goalie in the last minute. Hands up anyone out there who thought the Canucks would hang on and beat the Sharks last Tuesday. Maybe you hoped but did you really believe??
Let me answer the last 2 questions: I DID think the Canucks would hang on and beat the Sharks 1-0 in regulation and YES I really believed that. It was a game that saw an improved team effort. I've seen them play that kind of 'shutdown' hockey before and I was getting deja-vu.

UPDATE 1
So nearly the worst case scenario happened last night. The Blue Jackets, Wild, Ducks and even the Stars all won their games. That drops the Canucks down to 10th spot in the West I believe. My initial reaction is that this is almost like seeing Cameron Diaz with and then without makeup. But then I settled down and realized that the gap between the Canucks and 5th spot is not as big as Diaz's mouth.
The Canucks will need to start winning right away. This is going to be a battle, and the team seems ready for it.
I was reading somewhere that (the writer feels) that Alain Vigneault may bring back the trap, which is a method that has worked in the past. You saw it against the Sharks and it almost worked. I hope AV does do just that. The players can learn to play defence again and then open up. This team was drawing too many comparisons to the Leafs before the game against San Jose. That isn't a good thing.

UPDATE 2
The Canucks have beat the Predators 3 out of 3 games this season, outscoring them 9-2 in the process.

-The Preds have lost 4 of their last 5 games and only scored 8 goals in the process. They are in the NHL basement in goals for per game.

UPDATE 3: Sundin making strides
From the Vancouver Sun:
At Tuesday’s practice, Mats Sundin didn’t tag along behind Daniel and Henrik Sedin on the first power play, but confidently ran a second unit. The day before, Sundin not only survived the practice-ending conditioning skate, but led it. He had terrific scoring chances the last two games and finished one of them.
It's almost time for Sundin to contribute offensively at a more consistent rate. His time is near.

UPDATE 4: Watch out for Steve Sullivan
From Canucks.com:
Prior to suiting up for his first game of the season on January 10th against the Blackhawks, the 34-year old had not played a game since February 22, 2007 against the Montreal Canadiens when he suffered a back injury that kept him out for 687 days until his recent triumphant return to the lineup. He became only the third player in the post-World War II NHL history to miss over 600 days and then return to action – Jim Peplinski of the Calgary Flames and Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins being the others. Sharks forward Claude Lemieux has since become the fourth player to join that list.
Stevie is not to be underestimated. He is going to light it up at any moment. I hope it's not against the Canucks...

UPDATE 5: Play that funky music
I'm going to try something new for this site. Earlier in the season, I'd have the old Canucks intro tune (U2's Where the Streets Have No Name) playing pre game in the background on this site. From this point forward, if the Canucks win a game I'll post a song right after my post game post gets posted (you dig what I'm sayin'?)
I won't say what tune it is, but it is synonymous with the Canucks. The tune will be turned off sometime around lunch the following day so you don't get too damned annoyed.

UPDATE 6: Flame-out
The Canucks' journey to a playoff spot in the final 34 games in 2-fold. Yes, they have to stay ahead of the clusterf**k in the middle of the West. But they also need to keep pace with the Flames. Yeah, they are 9 points ahead of Vancouver right now but that gap can be closed very quickly if the Flames lose a few and we win a few. In my opinion, I don't see the Flames continuing on at their current torrid pace long term.
It's funny how all the media caught on today to Vancouver dropping to 10th spot last night. Kinda late on that one, boys and girls. Tonight's game is not a must win in general, but it is in the fact that the media is going to hop all over them for losing now that they are in 10th. The team doesn't necessarily need that kind of pressure put on them. Sometimes I wish they were even further down in the standings so that the media would leave them alone or write them off. That would take away some of the spotlight and pressure.
At the same time, these guys are paid to deal with pressure.

GAME TIME: 7:30 PST
TV: TSN

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

At January 28, 2009 at 8:16 a.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Suckage of the highest order.

Better things ahead. Keep the faith, baby.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 9:40 a.m. , Blogger Judy said...

I hear Diaz is already signed to play The Joker in the next Batman flick.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 11:04 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Do they have enough lipstick to cover that damned yap of hers?

5-2 Canucks win tonight is my prediction.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 12:19 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

"I love music, any kinda music..." God's honest truth: I was just compiling a little playlist I like to call "Well, Funk my Soul!" Not sure "Play that funky music" will make the cut though.

Nothing too metallic, please. I'd hate to have to mute you:)

Barbie says the Canucks like Coldplay, which totally disgusts him. But then, he is a bit of a mouth-breather.

I'll go slightly more conservative and say 4-1. Vancouver's gonna be doing everything in their power to save face by shutting the Preds down, and the Preds are going to very kindly hand the puck over as often as possible.

Just for the halibut: First goal, Sundin, 6 minutes into it, with a one minute margin of error. But what the fuck do I know.

Then again, I came within 4 seconds of predicting the first goal of the game vs. the Sharks, even if I did say Burrows and not Pyatt. I've since dusted off the crystal puck.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 12:40 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

COLDPLAY?? No wonder why they have slow starts!

Barbie is a Metalli-head. Good man.

By the way, I don't like soul music. Oh, Jungle Boogie is cool though.

The song on this site will be fron the 70's. It's retro and synonymous with the Canucks' 1982 run. Any guesses?

They should still use this song after every goal today. It's the best.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 1:03 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 straight losses...8 of the last 10. And Sean is cool with making that seven straight and 9 of 11.

I disagree good sir, this is a must win. They'll have a battle on their hands come Saturday and next month is scary. Nashville should be a gimme...they have to win this.

And if you're going to be embedding Coldplay, then I do hope they continue to lose so you can't (I'm just thinking of the children after all. someone has to).

 
At January 28, 2009 at 1:10 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I see where you're going with that, Mike. And I like it.

Yet I've seen weirder shit happen.
There's 34 damned games left!

 
At January 28, 2009 at 1:40 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I nominate "Spice up your Life" by the Spice Girls.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 1:52 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

First guess: "Won't get fooled again" by The Who (best rock scream ever -- MELODIC rock scream, that is.) But I know nothing of the '82 run.

Okay, you're a Metalli-head. But would you put their pictures on your mask? Wouldn't you just stick to the posters in your bedroom? :)

 
At January 28, 2009 at 4:18 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

2nd guess: 'Ain't Seen Nothing Yet' - BTO

Were you serious about 'Jungle Boogie', cuz if you were, you should know that it's PURE FUNK, a close relative of soul. So there.

Careful...this is turning into a music blog. I guess, after a week, everything that can be said about the Canucks has already been said.

T minus 3:13:22

 
At January 28, 2009 at 4:49 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Wrong, wrong and wrong. How can none of you know the big rah-rah tune after the Canucks used to score?
Hints: sex offender
England
Glam

Temujin: The Spice Girls are too good for this site. I would never deface their image by putting one of their songs on here! :)
Colors of the world!
Spice up your life!
Every boy and every girl!
Spice up your life!
I'm not quite a girl!
You're just a dike!
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Goddammit now that song is going to be on my head all night.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 4:52 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Hahaha! Have you heard Rock101's twisted tune for Mats Sundin?

Scroll down a bit and click the "Sundin" title. It's priceless.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 4:58 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Not bad, Jin. Not bad. Hey, come out to Roger's tonight?

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:03 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I've got a shitlocker day tomorrow morning. Going to Burns Lake at 7:30 in the damn morning for a fire/smoke restoration.

Hey, I guess that means I get an hour and a half to sleep it off! Hell yeah I'm there!

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:20 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Hang onto Yourself - David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust ("Come on, come on, we really got a good thing going...")

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:24 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

No...You don't mean "We will rock you." Bor-ing!

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:26 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Wait a minute...I forgot to take into account the sex offender part. Let me think.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:31 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Gary Glitter - Rock & Roll

(Do I get a prize if I'm right?)

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:35 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

BANGO! you got it
Your prize is here.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:43 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

That's better than what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be a Metallica video :)

Is this an image you keep on hand? You never know when you might need a picture of a cow with the squirts. That is, a cow's arse, squirting. Full force squirt. Thanks. I'll make sure to save this one.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 5:55 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Actually, your answer is very close to being right. Technically it's wrong. haha

How dare you insult Metallica? You are banned! :)
Ironically I'm just picking up my guitar to play Metallica right now.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 6:07 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

So what you're telling me is, you are shirtless and you have long kinky hair. And you can't sing.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 6:23 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I've known him nearly ten years and I can honestly say that pretty much sums him up.

Oh, and he says "yeeeeaah!" a lot after each sentence.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 6:31 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

you 2 are assholes! haha

At least I have taste! That's for sure-ah

 
At January 28, 2009 at 6:42 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Thanks for the inside scoop, Jin -- can I call you that? I've noticed that Sean does.

So, tell me, what's Sean's secret nickname, the one he uses when he's being a banger.

T minus 00:48:42

 
At January 28, 2009 at 6:47 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Judy: My nickname's Banger. Mr. Banger to you.

My hair is short now. I used to have a king-sized mullet just like Lars Ulrich had. I wore black t shirts, tight acid-washed jeans and jight top Converse running shoes.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 6:49 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

corr: high top running shoes. Let me guess..you wore a polka dot dress with pink socks, chinese shoes, had huge bangs and looked like Jenny Garth.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 7:18 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I now have the 90210 theme song stuck in my head

 
At January 28, 2009 at 7:25 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Mr. Banger, eh? Could get in trouble with a name like that.

Who the fuck is Jenny Garth? (Besides some second-rate TV actress.) I had to Google her. (Interestingly, we're in the same data base - IMDb. But then again practically anyone who has even walked past a movie set is in that data base.)

I'm not blond. Take that on whatever level you want. I still wear the polka dot dress now and then, and the pink socks, but I've given up the Chinese shoes. On the weekends, however, I dress like Ziggy Stardust.

Calgary is taking Buffalo down a notch after last night. Can't believe the Oily fans were chanting "10". I thought it was bad enough when the Canucks got boo'd.

Gotta love those Hooter girls on skates picking up Cammaleri's hats. (Where do the consonants go in that name?) If it sounds like I'm jealous, it's cuz I am. I would poke an eye out to look like that -- as long as I got to keep my brain

 
At January 28, 2009 at 10:24 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Sean...help...please find something good in this. No Gary Glitter tonight.

And if Sundin gets any more stupid penalties, they're going to put a monogrammed La-Z-Boy chair in the box for him. (I came up with that one BEFORE we lost. Not laughing anymore.)

You guys are out drinking somewhere, aren't you? Sure, leave me to deal with my misery all alone. Thanks.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 10:31 p.m. , Blogger Marja said...

Brutal result AGAIN. This team is really confusin me right now. They come out all tentative and scared, then in the 2nd at times they played as good as i've seen an NHL team play this season.
I hate to say it, but maybe AV might be done with the Nucks. When Vancouver can't play defence or kill a penalty, what exactly is a defensive minded coach like AV doin then? Nuttin!!!

Still not concerned though, again the team is headin uphill, but they are gettin no breaks whatsoever. Bring on the roadtrip already, GM place is poison for them right now.

 
At January 28, 2009 at 11:16 p.m. , Blogger Judy said...

Billy: You say tentative and scared in the 1st, I say scramble-y and frantic. Whatever it was, it was not pretty.

Like you, I thought they looked like they had gotten their shit together in the 2nd. But what would you say about the 3rd? By then, I was watching through my fingers, curled up in a fetal position and moaning slightly. I may not have been fully conscious.

 
At January 29, 2009 at 12:43 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I was out getting drunk somewhere...the only way to deal with this shit

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.