Sundin conference call
- 2 weeks ago he decided to play. First option has been Vancouver since he looked at various teams
- wow, rough conference call
- knows Ohlund from playing in the Olympics. Their phone conversation: wanted to know what the team thought about adding another player in the middle of the season. Sundin wanted a feel for what the Canucks players thought about him. Ohlund called Sundin for the record.
- to pick a Cup winning team is impossible. Feels Canucks can be competitive in the playoffs. Get to playoffs anything can happen. Thrilled about playing for the Canucks.
- Playing for another Canadian team was a factor. Sundin enjoys living in Canada. Canucks have a great franchise and fans. He loves that atmosphere.
- how close did he come to retiring? when the season started he realized he was 37 years old, and his chances of playing in the NHL again were running out.
- Why Vancouver? (again) The response from the Canucks at July 1st. Told JP Barry that Vancouver was in the back of his mind, yet complimented what JP Barry did to present info from all teams. But his first choice was Vancouver.
- thankful to Gillis for being patient and for all the conversations made a great impression on Mats.
- It's not a perfect situation coming into the season half-way. Sundin said he will push hard to get into proper shape.
- When will he play? Hasn't talked to the coaches. Unsure.
- What day did Sundin tell Gillis? Yesterday. It was great for him to talk to Ohlund and get an idea of what the Canucks players thought.
- Sundin called Gillis and asked him what he thought of another Swede playing on his team. haha
- Leafs will always have a part of his heart. It will still feel like home when he goes there.
- Looks forward to the game against the Leafs on February 21. It will be mixed emotions.
- Respects Leafs fans and the tradition. Hopes Leafs fans respect his decision. Didn't feel it was the right time to leave the Leafs at the deadline because they could possibly make the playoffs.
- About leaving some extra money on the table for Gillis: happy to do that.
- Excited about playing in the West. Always enjoyed coming West to play when he played for the Leafs.
- Sundin signed for one year for himself and his future plans but also for the organization. It puts pressure on him to perform.
- Not thinking ahead much about the Olympics.
- A lot of great players here. Top goalie in the League. Team is playing hard this year.
- Linemates? Coaches decision.
- How much did the city of Vancouver come into play? Thinks Vancouver is a beautiful city. Was one of his favorite places to travel.
- Sundin watched the Canucks-Kings game live, but only watched the team play in spurts.
- Decided to play again 2 weeks ago because he missed the NHL atmosphere. Loves the game of hockey.
Link to the press conference here.
T Tags: Mats+Sundin+press+conference+call December+19+2008 Canucks