Sunday, November 02, 2008

Wings' power play proves too much for Canucks

The Canucks could have won the game....had they not taken any penalties at all. Detroit scored a power play goal in each of the first 3 man advantages. And that was the big difference. Penalties happen. The Canucks weren't penalized all that often. It's just that they couldn't kill the Wings' man advantages.
And oh, did Vancouver ever come close to tying it, out shooting the Wings 13-3 in the 3rd and being fueled by King Kyle Wellwood's goal to make it 3-2. So close.
Speaking of Wellwood, I find it very strange how he is always left by himself by the net when the Canucks are on the PP. Why is that? It's almost like the other teams don't give him any respect either. No love for the Wood. But that's ok, because he'll just keep scoring those kinds of goals, and I'll keep laughing. Maybe, just maybe, Wellwood should play on the first line.
His ice time continually increases. Over 17:00 minutes tonight. Good stuff.
There really isn't much else to say except:
- the refereeing sure can be ass sometimes. There were bogus calls on both teams tonight. Lame.
- I thought the Canucks played alright despite the loss. At lot more of a controlled game. 5-on-5 we can tango with Detroit.
- were we 0-for-7 on the PP tonight? Brutal. That should drop them down towards the league basement now. Something's got to give.
- 2 shots and 0 points for Hossa. Impressive coverage.
- I really miss calling Luongo "LUONGOD". He has not really stole a game yet. I wouldn't say he had much chance on the Wings goals tonight however.

BOX SCORE & HIGHLIGHTS NHL.com is so cool now.

T Tags:

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At November 3, 2008 at 9:37 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Sean - Just got back from a short trip to Canada..well, Quebec anyway..nice country you got there.

I thought the Canucks played very well last night as well, despite the loss. I'm liking the fact that this crew doesn't seem to quit when it's behind.

I'm starting to come your way on Wellwood.

On Luongo, I know I'm practically alone among Canucks fans in just not finding him compelling, either as a goalie or as an athlete. I just plain don't like the guy. I'd take Thomas over Luongo any goddamn day of the week.

I realize this is a minority position, but, on the other hand, Luongo's numbers are about where I think he is, i.e. "good, but not great."

 
At November 3, 2008 at 11:46 a.m. , Blogger jimbuff said...

kevinv - I'd take Thomas over him also but so would anyone else who knows hockey.

It looks like Luongo's time has passed. He was great at one point in his career but he has diminished considerably in the last 2 seasons. This season he reminds me a lot of Dan Cloutier in his final season with The Canucks.

 
At November 3, 2008 at 11:51 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Ha! You guys are such Boston homers. Luongo will get better and better as the season goes along, mark my words.
Ouch! Comparing Cloutier to Luongo? That's a stretch. That's like me comparing Thomas to Raycroft

 
At November 3, 2008 at 3:45 p.m. , Blogger jimbuff said...

ha ha - i thought you would like that one:)

 
At November 3, 2008 at 6:15 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Bugger!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.