Wednesday, November 05, 2008

All about the Wood

























He's got the whole team
In his hands
He's got the whole damned team
In his hands...

I'm going to hell ain't I?
See you there!

Go Wellwood!

You know, Wellwood week might be extended if he keeps this up.

Canucks coach Alain Vigneault thinks Kyle Wellwood may have gotten a wake up call when he was sent to the minor leagues 2 1/2 weeks ago.
Wellwood says it was more of a much-needed break.
The Canucks' Kyle Wellwood had two goals -- he has six this season. It was his first career multi-goal game.
Whatever the reason, after battling injury and fitness issues for the last two seasons Wellwood is making the most of his latest chance to stay in the NHL.
- Associated Press
Kyle Wellwood has heard the jokes about being out of shape while walking around with his shirt off, and suffering the humiliation of being sent to the minors twice.

All this after coming to Vancouver soon after the Canucks claimed him off waivers in June, spending gruelling weeks with conditioning coach Roger Takahashi and going on a special diet.

Cut adrift after four years with the Toronto Maple Leafs, he's feeling good again and making the most of his second NHL tour of duty with Vancouver.

Wellwood, a five-foot-ten, 180-pound native of Windsor Ont., who signed a US$997,500 contract with Vancouver, became the Canucks' leading scorer Tuesday by firing two goals in a 4-0 win over the Nashville Predators.

He has six goals in seven games since being called up from American Hockey League's Manitoba Moose when Pavol Demitra suffered a rib injury.

''For any athlete or professional, it's about yourself personally playing the game and that's where you're going to find the happiness,'' Wellwood said.

''Not being able to play, feeling unhealthy and out of shape you're not going to feel so happy and confident. That was my main goal. I didn't care too much where I was going to play. I just wanted to get back.''
-TSN. And there is more about Woody at TSN.
“I think we just wanted to keep going,” said Alex Burrows. “ I think we wanted to play a solid 60 minutes, and in the third period that second goal really helped us and obviously afterwards Kyle worked his magic. It was nice to see.”

Wellwood rounds into form
-Sportsnet. Still can't stop the fat jokes, hey you fucking jackasses?
..it’s an absolute delight to see guys like Kesler, Raymond, Burrows, Hansen and (ugh) even Wellwood play far better than anyone could have predicted. But as far as Wellwood being a PP God is concerned, I’m still not sold on him yet.
-Yankee Canuck pre game. Mikey, Mikey, NOW DO YOU BELIEVE? NOW DO YOU BELIEVE? This guy is good. Scary good! (Hey, I'll gloat while I have the chance!)




T Tags:

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At November 5, 2008 at 9:53 a.m. , Blogger Darren Barefoot said...

Here's my concern about Wellwood: how many goals is he going to score in April (in the unlikely event that the Canucks make the playoffs)?

I fear that our top six forwards are pretty soft, and are seriously going to get pushed around come playoff time.

 
At November 5, 2008 at 10:59 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Darren! Don't ask legit questions like that! Just be happy Pudgie the Waiver Wonder is scoring left and right!

...and see my post today Sean, I owned up. Sorta.

 
At November 5, 2008 at 11:53 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Barefoot makes a good case. And the scenario of us (including Wellwood) getting pushed around in the playoffs is a huge possibility.
Remember, I'm a Wellwood fan. So when he's producing I am going to gloat and celebrate.
He does have them sweet hands though. How would he respond to physicality? In my opinion, he's been roughed around already yet he keeps ticking.
I think the biggest question about Wellwood will be consistency and whether or not he can stay healthy. By healthy I mean "not injured."

 
At November 5, 2008 at 1:32 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Wellwood is one undergarment away from replacing The Legend of Cowan. I hope some Canuck fan steps up and makes it happen during this homestand... :)

 
At November 5, 2008 at 2:09 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Haha! No kidding! There has to be some crazy lady out there bold enough to chuck her bra on the ice and rebirth the legend.
I heard there were Wellwood chants. Was that true? I didn't hear them on tv.

 
At November 5, 2008 at 2:10 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, I really see Wellwood as helping them for however he long can while they explore other options down the road. With their cap space, I don't see the team not making a big push for a top-six forward in the next few months.

 
At November 5, 2008 at 4:09 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

All Hail the Well-God? The God-Wood? The Wood-God?

 
At November 5, 2008 at 4:24 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

The Wood of the Lord?
God-Wood works for me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.