Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Antoine Vermette to Canucks?

I am just posting this because Eklund isn't the only person speculating about this possible trade. Gillis may make a deal like this whether he lands Sundin or not, and I say: "go for it!"

Vermette is getting nowhere with the Senators as far as a contract goes. But he sure as hell improved his offence in his contract year. 81 games played, 24 goals, 53 points, 4 power play goals, 3 shorthanded goals, and played an average of 17:35 per game. As you can see here, his icetime and stats have gone up ever since 2003 when he started in the NHL.

Question is, which defenceman is Gillis going to surrender, Bieksa? He has 3 years left on his contract that pays him $4.25 million this coming season, and $3.5 per season the following 2 years. Ohlund? He will be playing in the final year of his contract that pays him $3.5 million per season. I'm sure a raise is coming there. Like a friend of mine said, defencemen are getting paid so much damned money in the offseason as free agents, that Ohlund could demand $6 million-plus. Sucky. Adiose.
We'll see. Krajicek has 1 year left on his contract as well.
Gillis has already hinted a couple weeks ago at a possible trade to acquire a top 6 forward. It's just a matter of time.

T Tags:

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 22, 2008 at 4:55 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Vermette for Krajicek would be a steal, no way. I'd gladly move Bieksa though for Vermette; there's a decent amount of upside for both teams there as both guys are young and likely will excel at both positions. I agree though, Sundin or no Sundin, adding him to the mix would be great (and better then the Gionta/Bieksa rumor I keep reading too).

 
At July 22, 2008 at 5:10 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Nah, I'd take Gionta over Vermette any day! I agree, I would trade Bieksa for Vermette straight across. I know Bieksa struggled when he returned from that freak injury last season, but I just never was a fan of his anyways. He's too tempermental and prone to mistakes.
Huge fan of Krajicek I am! The force is strong in that boy.

 
At July 22, 2008 at 5:16 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Gionta is too small and we have no size to begin with. I'd rather have a bit of grit then another small guy. Obviously beggars can't be choosers and I'd take either.

Out of all the D I'd prefer Salo to go most of all. If Gillis could find a taker on him and get value in return...or at least someone who isn't so injury-prone...I'd damn near kiss the man.

 
At July 22, 2008 at 5:24 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

True that! Imagine Salo going back to Ottawa! Ha! Didn't we trade Peter Schaeffer to get him?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.