Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hossa the Honorable to become unrestricted free agent

I use the word honorable sarcastically. On June 7, Hossa was quoted as saying:

"If I wanted to make a couple more dollars, I would probably just re-sign with Atlanta," said Hossa. "But I'm glad Pittsburgh got me here. This was a fun journey for myself, and a great experience. I hope I can stick with a great team like this. ...
There's always a limit, but I'd rather take a little less and play on a good team, definitely."
OK, so define "limit", Marian.
Pens GM Shero has said today that talks between the 2 parties have broken off. Hossa, who made $6 million last season, was acquired at a steep price by Pittsburgh not just financially. They gave up Colby Armstrong, Eric Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft pick (Daultan Leveille) to the Atlanta Thrashers. All of that to boost their chances at a Cup and hopefully sign this idiot long-term.
Shero still believes he has a chance to sign Hossa after July 1, but I really doubt that. Some foolish club is going to give Hossa what he wants.

I just wonder how far apart the 2 parties were, and how much of a douchebag Hossa really is. Never been a big fan of his.

What had really inspired me to hack Hossa is this post by Pat Lackey at The Fanhouse right after Hossa uttered those lies.
T Tags:

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At June 21, 2008 at 2:57 p.m. , Blogger jimbuff said...

I'm not a big fan of the douchebag either and lately I have been hearing rumors about my Bruins's going after him. Just what I need on my team is a bonehead like this - it's bad enough that we already have Chara - this could make me insane!!!

 
At June 21, 2008 at 5:18 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I guess the Bruins will have to replace Murray, huh? Well, you will get Bergeron back. I'd say Hossa doesn't end up in Boston.

 
At June 23, 2008 at 7:38 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

GZ Expat emailed me and said:

The last offer I saw from the Pens was 7 years for $25m. That is about $3.5M per. Hossa is making about $5m per right now...and entering the prime of his career. Now the difference in taking a little less money and being stupid is basically where the Pens are with that offer. C'mon man...you'd turn that down too.

Hossa was one of the best things on the ice for the Pens in the final two rounds of the playoffs...and where was Malkin?? If you take Hossa and put the right people around him, he will be good. He proved that in Ottawa (yeah, he had bad playoffs, but didn't ALL of the Sens back then??). He is not a guy that can put a team on his back...there are very few of those around.

Besides, he's an ex-Portland Winterhawk that helped the 'Hawks win the Memorial Cup in 98...I gotta stand up for my boyz! Heh...

 
At June 23, 2008 at 7:42 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oh yeah, Hossa was about the best thing on the ice for the Pens in the playoffs, and he doesn't deserve THAT much of a cut. But I read somewhere he was offered 7 years at $50 million. I guess we'll find out at some point what the actual dollars were.

"If you put the right guys around him."

Yeah, it's like that with anyone though...or most. Then they become like Anson Carter and don't pull their weight when they have lower calibre players around them, making them a waste of cap space.

 
At June 23, 2008 at 7:46 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

JimBuff- Uh-oh, the Hossa to Boston talks are heating up. Maybe you were right.. Chiarelli refused to comment to the media about it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.