Saturday, June 28, 2008

Gillis and Naslund still talking and waiting

From the Vancouver Province:

Gillis talked this week with unrestricted free agent Markus Naslund and his new agent Donald Baizley, but wouldn't say whether he's trying to extend the winger's contract before July 1.
"That's between he and I," said Gillis. "We're going to talk again [today] and see how that conversation goes."
Naslund earned $6 million last season and said he wants to see what changes Gillis makes with the roster -- and what pay cut he'd absorb -- before deciding.
Why does this anger me? It's because I don't like Naslund. I think the Canucks need to separate themselves from this guy and just move on. I know some people ask: "Well what if he signs for $3 million to stay?" To that I say 'bogus'. For one, I don't think he'll take that kind of cut. Secondly, I DON'T WANT HIM FRICKING PLAYING HERE!
Simple as that. Let him go, give the captaincy to a deserving Willie Mitchell, and let's drop the damned puck already!
Sure, the guy may perform better with 2 brand new linemates that Gillis may acquire (including Wellwood), but I just have no emotional attachment to the Swede. Give me a Brian Rolston and/or Michael Ryder and I would be happier.
Actually, the fact that he's 'waiting' to see who Gillis acquires is pathetic. You know, real stars make players around them better. What's this guy's excuse? He's a baby. Let him go to free agency.

OK, I have to go back to unpacking. Just bought my first house!
I'm not even going to acknowledge Bertuzzi being put on waivers right now. I'm not suprised though. He's done like dinner.

T Tags:

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At June 28, 2008 at 4:39 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

come on man, the guy has played his heart out here in van and you wont get a UFA that can score 20-25goal for much cheaper than that

 
At June 29, 2008 at 12:17 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Played his heart out? No, guys like Mitchell, Burrows and Linden play their heart out.
Sorry, no love from me. I would prefer a 20-25 goal scorer with more grit. Not a guy that shoots from the circle every god-damned time.

 
At June 29, 2008 at 2:49 a.m. , Blogger Johan said...

I believe its called "doing the honorable thing." Aside from that, perhaps its a backscratching deal with Gillis.

 
At June 29, 2008 at 10:15 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with the first post,he has played his heart out and just cause he's not as talented that doesn't mean he doesn't have passion.

when Linden started to fade where you being an ass to him aswell?

 
At June 29, 2008 at 10:19 a.m. , Blogger G-man said...

if he scored 50 goals next year would you still have the same opinion?

 
At June 29, 2008 at 12:49 p.m. , Blogger jimbuff said...

Strange you mentioned Ryder and Rolston - they are the two players I would want to see with the Bruins - both play the game the way it should be!

 
At June 29, 2008 at 12:51 p.m. , Blogger jimbuff said...

Zandberg - I agree with your assessment of Naslund - I would not want him (nor the twins you have) playing for my team!

 
At June 29, 2008 at 1:57 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

OK, if Naslund scored 50 goals next season and scored 20 in the playoffs as the team wins the Cup, then I'd be happy with him.
Hey, any Naslund-lover can come on here and disagree with me and I welcome your opinion.
I would say Naslund worked really hard on his 2-way game last year and that was impressive. But c'mon, where did his offensive creativity go? Just weak perimeter shots that were either blocked or missed the net. Maybe a bunch hit the goalie square in the logo as well. Sad, really.
Oh, and yes, I did bag on Linden when he slowed down. I actually wanted him to retire before last season, to be honest with you. But that was a tad harsh. He wasn't given enough icetime this year to prove any further what he was capable of either. So I admit being wrong there.
Naslund on the other hand DID have the icetime.
But let's be realistic, Naslund-lovers. What would you take him in for this year? $5 million? $4 million? Not me.
If anything, I would have rather seen Morrison stick around because he plays with more heart and desire when??? WHEN IT COUNTS.
Remember, Naslund is waiting to see who Gillis brings in, right? Well what kind of bullshit is that? Has he even earned the right to do that? Like I said earlier, the guy was making $6 million. A player at that type of dollars should make the players around him better. Otherwise, the team is wasting money. Are we going to wait for another Bertuzzi to come around that Naslund becomes best buddies with and clicks with on the ice? Fuck it. Time for him to go. Let's go in a different direction.

 
At June 29, 2008 at 9:59 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naslund and Hossa are the same...they are scorers who need someone around them to create space to score. Bertuzzi was the guy that creates space for Naslund. Today...the Sedin's? C'mon. They create boredom with their backs to the net in the corner digging away at the puck for eternity. Crosby created space for Hossa...Hossa succeeded. Kovalchuk and Hossa are the same type of players. Hell, even in juniors, Hossa had Brendan Morrow on his like...creating space.

Hossa would be wise to sign with a team that has this recipe...the Canucks are not that team.

 
At June 29, 2008 at 10:20 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Well, Kyle Wellwood could create that space! (I kid...maybe)

Hossa didn't always play with Kovalchuk did he? I thought he thrived pretty well even when he wan't on Kov's line. Atlanta never provided any decent centermen for those 2 either.

 
At June 29, 2008 at 10:21 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I guess I'm forgetting that Slava Kozlov was playing with those 2 as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.