Monday, June 09, 2008

CTV acquires rights to Hockey Night in Canada theme song

Toronto, ON - CTV Inc., together with Copyright Music & Visuals, today announced that CTV Inc. has acquired all rights to 'The Hockey Theme' in perpetuity, preserving the song's legacy and ensuring it will be heard on national television for years to come. 'The Hockey Theme' song will now live on CTV Inc. properties TSN, RDS and across Canada on CTV during coverage of the upcoming Vancouver 2010 Olympics as outlined below.
The deal between CTV and Copyright Music & Visuals was agreed to in principle after the CBC publicly announced last Friday at 5 p.m. ET that a deal could not be reached with the rights holders. Due diligence was completed earlier today.
Well, at least the song lives on, but on TSN? Does it really matter? In my mind I'm not fully content because I always equate the song with Ron MacLean, Don Cherry and Bob Cole's voices following soon after. But, I will get used to it.


Meanwhile, Sportsnet is reporting that Stompin' Tom Connor's son is saying that his father is open to licensing his famous song "The Good Ol' Hockey Game" with CBC as a replacement. To that I say....no way. Sure, catchy little historic Canadian song, but not something I want to hear every damned Saturday. Did Connors write that song when he was in grade 3? The words are just terrible. I think the new song needs to be a musical, no lyrics, just muzak. And it has to have a classical feel to it. An orchestral piece, as Hodge put it today. I agree.

T Tags:

Labels:

6 Comments:

At June 9, 2008 at 9:47 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree the song should be an instrumental piece. Lyrics would get so annoying, so quick.

Also: TSN was just constantly playing the song today when they announced it. Hope they kinda get a little less trigger happy with it.

 
At June 10, 2008 at 1:21 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing worse on TV Sports than the Monday Night Football theme song with Hank Williams Jr. Ughghgghhg...way over the top.

 
At June 10, 2008 at 11:42 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Clayman: I guess TSN is flaunting their new prize huh....
I've settled in my mind that I'm glad that the song still lives on, even if it isn't on Saturday nights. CBC sure fucked up though.

Expat: I can't say I've heard that tune. I do like Hank Williams Jr though!

 
At June 10, 2008 at 1:11 p.m. , Blogger Lee_D said...

I was joking when I suggested yesterday that the CBC could make overtures to Stompin' Tom.

http://businessopinions.blogspot.com/2008/06/ctv-cbc-and-hockey-night-in-canada.html

I should have known better.

 
At June 10, 2008 at 3:34 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7MpJn4b-IV8

 
At June 10, 2008 at 4:37 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Are you saying you started the rumor? :) Way to manipulate the system, man!

Expat: Oh geez. That is fucking cheezie shit. Hank....I'm so ashamed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.