Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Nonis has not even talked with Leafs management

"I haven't talked to anyone from Toronto at this time," Nonis replied when asked about anonymously sourced reports out of Toronto. "If they do decide to bring me in [for an interview] and tell me what they're thinking, there'll be a decision to be made.
Right now, Toronto is not one of the teams I've spoken to and we'll see if they do contact me."
This what Dave Nonis told Team 1040. Elliot Pap has the whole story at the Vancouver Sun. Nonis also answers the question I was asking a couple of weeks ago: Why would the Leafs have to ask the Canucks for permission to speak with Nonis? Nonis explains that it depends on the GM's contract. Some fired GM's still have some obligation to their team contractually through a stupid clause in their contract. Apparently, Nonis does NOT have that, as he told Team 1040.

T Tags:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At May 13, 2008 at 11:10 a.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I thought it had something to do with the severance package the Canucks were paying Nonis, but I guess I was wrong.

Why in God's name would Nonis want to move there anyways? The Leafs are a complete disaster (even more than the Canucks), and for Nonis to take that job only to be canned in two years when the team doesn't significantly improve... well, it doesn't seem very good for the ol' resume.

 
At May 13, 2008 at 12:05 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Answer: $$$$$$$$ and a chance/challenge to turn a historic joke of a team into a contender. I'd love to take that job.

 
At May 13, 2008 at 1:47 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to add that being under contract and engaged under that contract are two different things, but the Sun story you linked to makes that clear.

I don't see how any GM could turn down Toronto. It would be like a Marine captain turning down a combat command in Iraq. Regardless of how you feel about the context, it's what you *do*.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.