Friday, April 18, 2008

Which team can come back in their series?

With one series being over and six others being on the brink of being over, let's go through the six and analyze which team has a chance at making a comeback.

Canadiens-Bruins (Habs lead series 3-2).
We finally saw the human side of Carey Price last night. He let in 2 very soft goals in the 3rd period last night in a 5-1 loss and appeared to have lost his focus. Is this the end of Price's run? How will the youngster handle the pressure after a poor performance like that? I don't know him well enough to answer that, but he did say that he doesn't have very many bad back-to-back games and vows for a better performance in game 6. But this series just got a hell of a lot more close than it should have last night. Game 6 is going to be great in all of its importance. Jeez, the Bruins are explosive sometimes, and Tim Thomas is ......well, a god actually. I can't predict the outcome of this one, but the Bruins have the momentum now. If they win game 6, they may have a lock on game 7.

Flyers-Capitals (Flyers lead series 3-1).
I think you can almost bank on this series being over. The Capitals were so red hot going into these playoffs, that I wondered if the young team would cool off if they finally lost a game. That is what has happened. Ovechkin has been silenced and is on the verge of losing it. Sergei Fedorov can't hit an open net. Yeah, this series is ending up the way it should have, I suppose. The Flyers are rolling along just fine.
I haven't seen so many giveaways in a series in quite a while though. Sloppy hockey, but very entertaining hockey.

Avalanche-Wild (Avalanche lead series 3-2).
The Avs have won 2 games in a row and have outscored the Wild 8-3 in that span. The comeback player of the year, Jose Theodore is playing so damned well right now. A guy named Gaborik, whom the Wild are relying on in order to have any chance, is pulling a whodini act and is pointless in the Wild's 5 games so far (19 shots though).
I would consider this series to be all but over in 6. Next game is in Denver.

Rangers-Devils (Rangers lead series 3-1).I think the Rangers remind me of the Hurricanes when Carolina won the Cup a couple years back. Their defence rarely offensively contributes in goals but is sharp in their own end. The depth in forwards is killer. Lundqvist is playing like Cam Ward did. Is anyone going to stop the Rangers? The Penguins might in round 2, but the Devils won't in round 1.

Stars-Ducks (Stars lead series 3-1).
The Stars have barely let up on these Ducks the whole series, and are about to finish off the defending champs. Dallas' hustle is pretty much second-to-none in these playoffs, and if anyone is still questioning Turco's ability in the playoffs, they need a bullet wound.
Hey it's never over until the fat lady quacks right? Somewhere in the world I can see Oprah Winfrey standing in front of a mirror, ready to start making Duck noises.
Oh, and thanks for comin' Bertuzzi! (not) Nothing makes me happier than seeing Bert and the Fowl teeing off early.

Sharks-Flames (Sharks lead series 3-2)
Never count out a team from Alberta. As well as the Sharks are playing right now, it's not great enough to convince me that the Flames can't come back in this series. No lead is ever safe in this series, and that is one big reason why it's so fun to watch.
Look out for Cheechoo though. He seems ready to heat up.
Joe Thornton to me, is a cross between the Sedins and Bertuzzi. He has the speed and skill for a big guy, but he doesn't always use it to his advantage. Errant passes get intercepted. He doesn't always shoot when he should. Brilliant at times. Ass at other times. Not a clutc guy as much as he could be.
The real dudes on this team are Patrick Marleau and Ryan Clowe. By the way, the Canucks NEED to acquire Marleau this summer. Wouldn't he be a great fit?
Out of all the nearly-finalized series' left, I'd say the Flames have the best chance to come back. Next game is in Calgary.

What are your thoughts? Do you disagree with me on any of these points? It's ok, you can tell me if I'm full of shit.

T Tags:

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At April 18, 2008 at 11:11 a.m. , Blogger jimbuff said...

Speaking of Ryan Clowe, a newfie leading all players in points this post season - too bad big joe couldn't elevate his playoff game like a newfie:)

Bruins should have had this series - outplayed habs 4 of the 5 games but r still trailing 3-2. I am keeping the faith and yes Timmy is a GOD!!

 
At April 18, 2008 at 11:21 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Last year Newfie Dan Cleary was ripping it up. This year it's Newfie Clowe. Great guys.

 
At April 18, 2008 at 3:26 p.m. , Blogger RevTrevK said...

Pretty good analysis. But I think...
San Jose will beat the Flames in Calgary. You heard it here 1st. Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean I have to pick or cheer for a Canadian team.
Philly is owning Washington and they should be since the Caps are a one man team without amazing consistent goaltending.
Colorado could lose to Minny but I would rather see the Avalanche. More stars and more exciting hockey.
The Ducks are done like dinner. Dallas could win the West. But if anyone has the ability to come back in a series it is the Champs.
Boston is sure making it interesting and I think it will go to 7 but Montreal is too good.
Rangers are GOOD and NJ is average for the 1st time in years. Their lack of scoring is putting too much of a load on Brodeur's shoulders. Lundqvist is now a top 3-5 goalie. That Drury and Gomez signing sure looks good now.

Of course, in my predictions, I could be wrong but I doubt it.

 
At April 18, 2008 at 4:09 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if CuJo should start for the Flames?

And I think the highest chance of a comeback is Boston unless Calgary does put CuJo in net.

 
At April 18, 2008 at 4:58 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

"Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean I have to pick or cheer for a Canadian team."

Yeah no kidding. Given the choice to cheer for Montreal, Calgary or Ottawa I choose NONE OF THE ABOVE. I still can't believe I'm pulling for the Rangers though. Almost traiterous.

Clayman: That is such a tough call. You have to go with your money goalie on most nights. Kipper was pretty good last game but had no support. Maybe the team would play better infront of Cujo. But if the Flames lose the series with Cujo in net, how many people are going to blame the coach for starting him instead of Kipper? Probably many.
I would start Cujo though. I am a gambler.

Kempnar: I really don't see the Ducks coming back, especially considering the Stars' work ethic in the series.

Can't wait to see how Price responds. We could be saying "The Price is wrong, bitch" before this series ends!

 
At April 18, 2008 at 6:01 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree it's a tough call but they really aren't getting the same production I think they're expecting like they did on their long run a couple years back.

but you're point about it being safer to go with Kipper is absolutely correct...And I guess I think Kipper will stand up and play a good game but then again. Nabokov on the other end isn't gonna just take a break.

In the end I just wanna see CuJo play more I guess, he has played quite well for the Flames and he is one of my favorite players since I was younger.

 
At April 19, 2008 at 7:13 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oh yeah, Cujo's one of my faves too. Especially when he played for Toronto and even Edmonton. I'll never forget how well he played for the Oilers against the Stars in that upset series where Marchant bagged the OT winner on a breakaway.

 
At April 19, 2008 at 9:37 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. I still have that in my head haha.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.