Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nonis says thank you and good bye

Dave Nonis held a press conference today for the first time since his firing. Rather than blast Aquilini for the jackass that he is, Nonis said a bunch of thank you's to all of the people he worked with and who supported him. No suprise here, but he also said:

“We are pretty well positioned. I keep saying ‘we’ -- this team -- is pretty well positioned in my opinion to take a serious step forward and I believe that if they hire the right person there’s no reason to think that that can’t happen,” Nonis said. “And I hope that it does because I’ll be able to look back and say those are the pieces I put there.”
Poor guy still thinks he runs the team. He's not used to NOT being a Canucks GM. But he's right with what he said. The team is in good position and Aquilini had BETTER hire the proper replacement.
Nonis also mentioned that he wouldn't have done anything differently.
''I think I worked pretty hard to do the right things for this organization. Would I do things differently? No.
Everyone has changes they would make over time, there are tweaks you would make. In terms of what we are trying to do here, would I changes things? No I wouldn't. We wanted to have a team here that would win four playoff rounds, not one. If you look at what we are trying to accomplish, I think we were pretty far down the road.''


T Tags:


For more on the Nonis press conference check out Canucks.com.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At April 16, 2008 at 3:30 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how he feels...I've been 'replaced' in positions before in which I was succeeding, but the 'business' moved in a different direction and I was the odd man out. It sucks.

That said, Nonis isn't going to go out and blast his former employer...that news conference was the first phase of any job interview he might have.

 
At April 16, 2008 at 3:49 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Exactly. He sold himself to the next team that takes him. Of course, his accomplishments speak louder than his words.

I haven't felt the 'replacement' thingy yet. Hope I never do.

 
At April 18, 2008 at 3:33 p.m. , Blogger RevTrevK said...

Nonis is a class act and I would have been shocked if he was any different.

One thing he did say that did shock me was in response to the "would you change anything now that you would be fired" question. His answer was no. He mentioned if he would have made deals that would have made them make the playoffs to save his job would be acting like a coward. His best intentions where the Canucks not just this year but in the years to come. I wish they gave him 1 more year.

Thanks Dave for not trading away our young talent on an overpaid, now decent player like Brad Richards. You have put us in a great spot for this summer I just hope the next GM will sign the right guys.

 
At April 18, 2008 at 5:02 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Amen, brother!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.