Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mats Sundin will NOT waive his no-trade clause

Yeah, it's official, and Sundin was not lying yesterday.

"I have carefully considered the team's request that I waive my no-trade clause," Sundin told TSN. "I have always believed I would finish my career as a Toronto Maple Leaf so the actual request was still a very difficult one for me to contemplate.
I have spoken to and listened to my family and those closest to me about this issue. In the end, there is no right decision in a situation like this one.
I cannot leave my teammates and join another NHL Club at this time. I have never believed in the concept of a rental player. It is my belief that winning the Stanley Cup is the greatest thing you can achieve in hockey but for me, in order to appreciate it you have to have been part of the entire journey and that means October through June. I hope everyone will understand and respect my decision."
Well, I guess Mats could play another 3-4 years in Toronto and see a Cup win come to fruition. It is possible.
Bottom line here is what Mats said yesterday...that it is not HIS problem that the Leafs are in a situation where they need the Swede to waive his no-trade clause and get a shit locker of high picks. He is right.
However, I still think he should have done it. But it was SUNDIN'S decision and I honor it as a fan of him. I also respect his desire to remain with the club that he is the captain of. There is honor in that.
Now, we shall see what trades unravel, as Sundin is officially off the market.

T Tags:

Labels:

8 Comments:

At February 24, 2008 at 9:25 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Not surprised, and he stated his reasons why not eloquently. I had huge respect for him already and it's only gone up for the guy.

Honestly, any leafs fans that think the prospects/picks that could be landed for mats would turn the team around needs a reality check. Toronto would probably just waste the picks one some useless doofuses anyway!

 
At February 24, 2008 at 9:31 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well matts its time to leave for thesake of the team as you will never win a cup in to please do whats right and get out of TO fast SAVE THE LEAFS BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT OR NEVER WERE GOOD ENOUGH TO CARRIE THIS TEAM TO A CUP GET OUT BEFORE THE FANS RUN YOU OUT

 
At February 24, 2008 at 9:31 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Nah, I disagree. It's Fletcher who may have made a few of those picks. But yeah, it's not Sundin's fault the Leafs are in the predicament they're in. It's management. I have more respect for him to stick it out with this team as well.

 
At February 24, 2008 at 9:31 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Anonymous=Crack bag

 
At February 24, 2008 at 9:37 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZANSTORM I AM A HOCKEY MAN SO SHUT UP AND LISTION TO THOSE WHO KNOW

 
At February 24, 2008 at 9:44 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

PLUS IF HE DOES hot want to wave the clause then send him to the marrles for the rest of the year see how he likesthat

 
At February 24, 2008 at 9:50 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Yeah, putting Mats on waivers so he could go down to the Marlies would make a LOT more sense! Wow, lose him for nothing! And have to pay some of his salary! Anonymous you are a god-damn-fucking genius

 
At February 25, 2008 at 8:51 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Anonymous, your grammar reminds me of that of a 8-year old. So you're a hockey KID then.
On a TSN poll that asked whether or not Sundin should have waived his NTC, the results are split 50/50.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.