Monday, January 14, 2008

Curtis Joseph signs with the Flames

Oh great. The Flames have signed Cujo to a 1 year, $1.5 million deal. Kipper's workload has just been reduced significantly for the second half of the season. From TSN:

The 40-year-old appeared in 58 games last season with the Phoenix Coyotes and posted a 18-31-2 record with a 3.19 goals against average, .893 save percentage and four shutouts.
But that means only so much, as the Coyotes squad in front of Cujo wasn't all that stellar.
It certainly helped Cujo's re-emergence as an NHL'er when he was terrific in backstopping Canada to a Spengler Cup in December.
Cujo has a lot of pride left in him. When he gets his chances to play for the Flames, I expect him to shine. I wonder if we'll see more of the Captain Hook out of Keenan now that he has a bonafide backup goalie.

CUJO Career Stats

CujoTube

One of the best Cujo saves ever (with the Oilers against the Avs)

This is my favorite save of all time by Cujo. Playing for the Oilers, he stops Nieuwendyk point blank in Round 1 Game 7 vs the Stars. A faceoff ensues, and Cujo makes another big save, and then Marchant rips up the ice, past Grant Ledyard who had tripped over his own feet, and buries a breakway goal on Dallas' Andy Moog to win the series. I can remember Oilers coach Ron Lowe running onto the ice towards Cujo after Marchant had scored and screaming "What a fucking save!!!"
Amazing stuff.
All pleasantries aside, I think this is a great 1-2 punch in net for Calgary and makes them that much better. This is not necessarily good news for anyone else in the West.

T Tags:

Labels:

6 Comments:

At January 14, 2008 at 5:55 p.m. , Blogger James said...

I'm quite happy for Cujo, he deserves to be on a team with a (still) legitimate shot at the cup this year. I really hope he does well. One of my all-time favourite leafs and just seems like a generally classy guy.

 
At January 14, 2008 at 7:12 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I'm a little torn by him. He bolted for Detroit, and I hate Red Wings. I hate most ex-Red Wings. Just plain hatred all around for the Wings.
Not sure about Cujo having 'class' though. He seems shady to me. Remember his bold prediction about the Wings winning the Cup with him in net?
But I do agree, when he played for the Leafs, he was damned great.
James, what the hell is going on in leafland? JFJ hitting the road or what?

 
At January 14, 2008 at 7:52 p.m. , Blogger James said...

I hate detroit as much as the next original-six team fan, but I couldn't blame cujo for going there.. He had a legit chance at a cup there, it sounded (to me, anyway) that leafs management was jerking him around a little about his contract. He paid for it (in spades) with the detroit collapse so it's all square with respects to him leaving the leafs in my view..

As for the current leaf situation, jeez man.. It just keeps getting weirder. Sounds like JFJ is out for sure and they will bring in Fletcher as interim GM. If Mats agrees to go to a team for some good picks + prospects I would be happy, especially if he re-signs with the leafs in the offseason to be a mentor for their pickups!

I think leaf fans have been through the worst, at least now the losing is predictable.. Who didn't see the 3rd period collapse in san jose coming? I was not suprised in the slightest..

 
At January 14, 2008 at 8:43 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

haha, ya we were calling for the collapse in the 3rd period as well. Stupid Leafs. The new GM has to bring in players that will play Maurice's system. It's great when the GM and coach are on the same page.

 
At January 14, 2008 at 8:55 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I called for five unanswered goals by the Sharks, but yeah, I remember all three of us talking about it too (even Matt T. was saddened-but-not-stunned).

I think this will be extra motivation for Kipper, which is a completely negative thing for Canucks fans. Kipper knows that he isn't guaranteed the next start, and if he happens to tank in the playoffs Cujo is more than capable of stealing a game or two for the Flames.

 
At January 14, 2008 at 9:06 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

yeah, great point on Kipper, Jin. I completely agree. I can't even remember the name of their last backup goalie.
Hate to say it, but at that price, I'd rather have Cujo than Sanford.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.