Friday, November 16, 2007

Brian Burke's comments about putting Bryzgalov on waivers

Found Burke's comments on the Ducks' home site through a conference call. Worth a read.

“He’s been great. He has not asked for a trade. This whole schematic here is mine. He never came to me and said, ‘I want out.’ His agent never said ‘I want out.’ When we signed Hiller during the playoffs, you didn’t hear a word out of Bryz. We gave Giguere the four-year deal with a no-trade clause and you didn’t hear a word out of Bryz. He’s been terrific.

"I think organizations need to have reputations for honest answers with their players. And since this player came through for us: he won three playoff rounds in the last two years, he’s a quality person who helped us win, then he deserves to go somewhere else and play. The market has not materialized and I’m keeping my word today.”

On goaltending situation in the NHL:
“I think that’s why there are questions. It’s probably hard to believe that this is the best that I can do (waivers). I am puzzled by it. This is a salary cap world. The reluctance to gamble on a guy that might help you or might not for a million dollars is a lot different than it was. But I’ll be shocked if somebody doesn’t claim him."

"Most teams have invested heavily in a number one goalie. I think it’s hard to accept, but to me, we have a strong bond with our players that if we tell them something is going to happen, it happens. At some point, that value is worth more to an organization than trying to drag this out and get a draft pick for a goaltender. Nothing materialized. I did not have one offer that I turned down. We had lot of guys kicking tires, lots of calls on him. I would be surprised if he isn’t claimed but no one stepped up with an offer."

"I thought we had him traded at the draft. I really believed at the draft we had a deal done. The other general manager left the room and went back and talked to his guys and backed off. I really believed at that time we had him moved. I think it’s commentary on lots of things, the quality of goaltending in the league, the salary cap. Had we been able to retain some of his salary in a trade, we probably could have moved him. These are all factors.”

On cap space:
It’s not why we’re doing it, but it helps. If I drag this out another week, could I get a fourth or a fifth-round pick? If I drag it out another week and Bryz gets hurt, then we can’t do anything for him. These are all factors that went into it. We didn’t sign Jonas Hiller to play in Portland. We believe in Jonas Hiller.”

"We set a deadline. I made an agreement with Don Meehan (Bryzgalov’s agent) and I said this will be the timeframe. We’ll get those two LA games and if I have not been successful in moving him by then, then I’m going to put him on waivers. One of the teams that’s been kicking tires on him, I called them last night and said ‘This is your last chance to get him before he’s available on waivers, so as of tomorrow, you’re at the mercy of standings as the team with the lowest position in the standings has priority in a waiver claim.’ I said ‘As of tomorrow, you’re taking your chances’ and I never even got a call back. This is a team that had expressed interest."

"I’m content and I’ve said to ownership I’m content. I’ve turned over every stone here as far as being able to move him for something and now it’s time to keep our word."


Wow...Burke showing integrity. No suprise there.

T Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.