Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Bert returns to Vancouver tonight

(Just had to post my old Photoshop from the playoffs last season. Yes I know Selanne isn't playing.)

At long last, barring some freak injury (or bullshit excuse to not show up) Todd Bertuzzi is making his return to Vancouver tonight for the first time since being traded. I'm curious of what the fans' reaction is going to be. To boo or not to boo.
I'd boo the bugger myself. Never was a big fan of Big Bert.
As Alanah has pointed out, Bert's return may just overshadow the 'revenge factor' of the game. The Ducks did put us out of the playoffs remember? (Follow the link of the Game 5 clip, get angry!) May the Canucks slaughter them for that! We need some satisfaction from even the thought that it ever happened.
This is a different Ducks team now. Gone are the jackass indecisive Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne. Gone is Dustin Penner to sweat it out under all the pressure in Edmonton. This Duck team is different.
But they are starting to roll. They went 3-6-2 in the first month (plus 2 games in England). In November, they are 8-2-3, returning to form. Kind of reminds me of Vancouver.
Ryan Getzlaf is leading the way offensively for the Quacks with 10 goals and 25 points in 22 games, and a longterm contract at $5+ million per season to go with it. That isn't slowing him down. Corey Perry has 12 goals and 19 points in 24 games for second on the Ducks. Interestingly, Matthieu Schneider has 9 points in 9 games.

Points to Ponder

- the Canucks have scored 1 more goal than the Ducks this season and allowed 6 less goals.
- the Ducks' home record: 8-3-3
- the Ducks' road record: 3-6-1
- both teams have 26 points.
- Ducks have 16 powerplay goals on the year.
- Canucks have 23 powerplay goals.

Can we beat these guys and gain some revenge? We'd better. After playing so well against the Hawks I think we can do the same against the Ducks because we have more incentive. I say the Canucks take this one 4-2. What does Bertuzzi think of my prediction?















No no Bert....Fuck YOU.
Go Nucks.

Earl Sleek, one of my faves, has a pre game post up at Battle of California along with a pretty comical image of "the sucker punch". Check that out and spam his sorry ass. :)

Game Time: 7:00 PST
TV: TSN (high def, yo)

**UPDATE**
From The Star Phoenix:

"I think they are going to cheer him, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't," Canucks captain Markus Naslund said of the fans' reaction tonight to his former linemate and current Anaheim Duck, who remains a close friend. "He loved it here, he was one of the best players the Canucks have ever had and he entertained the city for a long time. He has done a lot for this organization."
I don't know, Markus. Could be a mixed reaction tonight. Probably more cheers than jeers I guess. We'll see.
I think he did entertain us, but he also was a loose cannon and a drifter who ended up being a thorn in our side as well.

Bertuzzi met with the media in Vancouver today. Check out what he, as well as his former teammates said at Canucks.com.



T Tags:

Labels: ,

25 Comments:

At November 27, 2007 at 9:58 a.m. , Blogger Jerry's Dallas said...

Don't wait up. Stanley ain't comin'.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 10:03 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oh, I still sleep at night. However, you are a tennis hacker....probably couldn't tell a puck from a tennis ball anyways.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 10:53 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

4-2 Canucks


Krajicek (3),

Pronger (2),

Bertuzzi gets suckered punched by Jeff Cowan in the third period, and as a final insult and testimony to the lop-sidedness of this deal, Luongo scores into an empty night with 25 seconds remaining on the clock.

Oh, and Earl Sleek comes slinking around here at 10:30 pst and cyber-bows to the magnificence of Zanstorm and the Canucks.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:10 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

I would boo Bertuzzi if I was at the game. Besides hurting the Canucks chances are a cup shot, he loafed around the ice far too often, not really earning his paycheck. Stupid Crawford never chastized Bertuzzi for his laziness, so somebody ought to.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:18 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Jes: couldn't have said it better myself! Amen, brutha

Jin: Sleek will be wearing that lucky shirt I bet. You should never have given him that. You should have been dishonorable. :)

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:23 p.m. , Blogger Aimée said...

OK, Your blog is just nuts. Do you have enough stats already? :)
Hi, BTW.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:31 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Actually, this puppy is making me money! kaching! Just a little.
I hate the word blog now. It's more of a site.
All is well Aimee. Hope to see you soon in Montreal maybe. My wife really wants to see Quebec.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 12:58 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Jin: I already picked 4-2 Canucks. Be more original!! :) Sleek has 4-2Ducks. I should make him some sort of bet....

 
At November 27, 2007 at 1:46 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

I should make him some sort of bet....

How about just the gentleman's bet: take a shot for every goal your team allows tonight. That way everyone wins!

 
At November 27, 2007 at 1:52 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

that I can do, Earl. But it has to be a good-sized shot though. Like a hald glass of spiced rum and coke. If you drink beer, you gotta chug half the can-bottle to make up for the alcohol % :)

 
At November 27, 2007 at 2:07 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

I've got a head-cold, so it's going to be straight Jack Daniels for me!


(The head-cold is pretty irrelevant, actually)

 
At November 27, 2007 at 2:52 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oh no, booze, Benylin...it's all the same. Makes you forget you were sick in he first place!

 
At November 27, 2007 at 3:32 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

What's this about goals and shots?! Excellent...

 
At November 27, 2007 at 4:06 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

OK Mike, you in too? Let's see who gets more drunk!
What are you drinking?

 
At November 27, 2007 at 5:52 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I have Johnnie Walker Red I've been doing shots of recently since, like Earl, I caught West Nile or something. So a goal a shot I can handle...unless Vancouver opens up a Philly like 8 goal lead or something. Then I may have a more interesting morning then expected.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 6:03 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

I might up the stakes and drink two shots if a VAN goal goes in while Bertuzzi is on the ice.

That's a game-time decision, though (let's see how he looks in the pregame skate).

I also have been neglecting a bottle of Maker's Mark; I may start with some of that.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 6:15 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

You typed Marker's Mark but the first thing I saw was Marky Mark....ew
If Bertuzzi scores I take 3 shots!

 
At November 27, 2007 at 6:21 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

There is no way I'm touching my bottle of Marky Mark tonight. :)

 
At November 27, 2007 at 6:31 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Marky Mark is much more of a summer whiskey anyway.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 8:01 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Hard to get drunk when NOBODY IS SCORING!!!
Thank Luongod for that!

 
At November 27, 2007 at 8:05 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Uh-oh.

Bertuzzi -1.

Sleek -2.

 
At November 27, 2007 at 8:40 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Let me know if I owe more drinks; I'm not watching this third period (doctor's orders).

 
At November 27, 2007 at 8:44 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

3-0 Sleek! ooo you be puking Jack Daniels through your nose by now!!!!


I have some great video footage to post tomorrow.....

 
At November 27, 2007 at 9:19 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Sleek we should have made a deal....if Jiggy gets pulled you slug the rest of your JD bottle! haaha
WOOOOOOEEE!!! 4-0!

 
At November 28, 2007 at 4:11 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Earl got the Bert being at -2 right. Didn't see that shutout coming though. And my hatred for Pronger rings even louder. All in all, an evening worth the shots.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.