Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Islanders sign Bryan Berard to a 1-year deal

From TSN:

"I came to camp determined to prove to the Islanders I belonged in the NHL and I'm very appreciative of Garth Snow and Ted Nolan for giving me the chance," said Berard. "The guys have already shown this season what kind of character this team has and how strong a team we are. My goal is to do everything I can to make us better."
Berard brings in a great primary offensive punch to the Islander's defence, that has been lacking since Adrian Aucoin left, no offence to Marc-Andre Bergeron.
But can Berard stay healthy. He only played 11 games in Columbus last season because he injured his back (herniated disc). He hasn't played anything close to a full season since 2002-03, where he scored 10 goals and 38 points in 80 games with the Bruins. Strangely, he played only 58 games the next season with Chicago and scored more points (13 goals and 47 points. The next 2 seasons with Columbus he played only a combined total of 55 games, scoring 12 goals and 35 points.
I wonder what the dollar figures are that Snow threw at Berard. It could be an incentive-laden contract. He made $2.5 million last season with Columbus.

Berard's career stats

BerardTube

The Berard Freak-Deeky eye accident

T Tags:

Labels:

4 Comments:

At October 9, 2007 at 4:38 p.m. , Blogger James said...

I don't even need to look at that video, the visual of all the blood squirting all over the ice after his eye presumably got popped open like a grape is burned into my braaaaain.

Gross.

Good luck to him tho, I was a little sad the leafs didn't bring him back when he got game-ready again.. not that he's been super effective since then. Us Toronto fans just get attached to busted down d-men. Yushkevich, come baaaaack!

 
At October 9, 2007 at 4:54 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Ah, Yushkevich was a GREAT Leaf!
Berard and his back are a major concern. That's why I'm curious about what the Isles are paying him.

 
At October 9, 2007 at 6:14 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pardon the interruption, but Friday, Canucks vs. Edmonton, hockey and poker at my house....Interested?

We need a reason to get drunk....

 
At October 9, 2007 at 8:00 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

OK! I'm sure we all be into that! It's not like we have to drive to get to your house anymore :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.