Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Linden awaits future with team

From the Vancouver Sun:

"I know I have a skill set that can complement this team and I think I bring some other tangibles that are good for this team," Linden, the 37-year-old unsigned free agent, told The Vancouver Sun before the meeting. "Quite honestly, if they feel they can be a better team without me, I'm fine with that, don't have any problem with that. But I need to know.
"If he didn't feel I had much game at the start of the year, I would hope he would [feel differently] going forward," Linden said.


"Hockey is a game of performance. I do feel like I performed well last year and at important times of the season. That's the most important thing about the game. I think I performed well given the opportunity. The last thing I want is for anyone to feel they owe me something or feel pressured to sign me. I want to be part of the team [on merit]."

Linden still has not been informed if he will play for the Canucks this coming season. You know that almost every single Nucklehead wants him back for another season. How can they not? Linden proved to everyone last season that he still has some fuel left in the tank, scoring 12 goals and 25 points in a limited role during the 06-07 regular season and leading the Nucks with 7 points in the playoffs. The guy is a local god.
"I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't aware what all this means," Alain Vigneault said Tuesday. "I know all the love there is for him from the fans and the city. But there's also a lot of respect for Trevor with management and coaches and everyone in our organization. He has earned that respect."

Linden apparently met and talked with Dave Nonis and Alain Vigneault last night. But there is no report yet. Management needs to figure out where Linden fits into this year's picture.
"Trevor and I and Dave need to be on the same page with what the situation is," Vigneault said. "When all is said and done, Dave and I need to do what's best for the team. I think we can do that and at the same time do what's best for Trevor. I'm hoping we're going to be able to do that."

So...don't get your hopes up of a Linden return on the ice...but don't count him out either. The Canucks may be looking to go with their new additions of Byron Ritchie, Brad Isbister and Ryan Shannon and avoiding playing the aging center. That may be the right choice, however you can't discount Linden's leadership role. That leadership is needed at key times, like in the playoffs, where Linden proved himself again.
Eventually, Linden is going to be in upper management, right? He may get his chance to lead the team off the ice this season behind the bench in some form of a role.
We just have to wait and see now.

What are your thoughts? Does Linden have another year left in him? Or should the Canucks go with the new younger and faster players?

T Tags:

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At August 15, 2007 at 11:40 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

At $700,000, he is an important piece of the puzzle at the cheap price.

They gotta get him signed. He should decide when to retire, not Canucks Management.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 12:07 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I disagree with your last point. Management DOES decide his fate. But he definitely needs to play one more year. Hell, the Nucks are going for the Prize this year and Trevor needs to be a part of it. Brad Isbister should play in Manitoba and Linden should get the final spot on the roster.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 7:07 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with temujin. This guy has done far too much for this team during the lean years, both on and off the ice. Regardless of the cap, regardless of salary, Trevor deserves a final skate around the rink, so we can show him our appreciation for all he gave this team. He has too much class to be left in the cold now. His expectations will be reasonable. He should retire a Canuck.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 8:11 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

You guys aren't in management, are you? No player over-rides his boss. He doesn't need to be signed so he can do his "final skate around the rink"

If they decide not to sign him, they can have a Linden tribute night sometime during the season and maybe name a street after him.

Aside from that, I still would rather see Trevor out there than Byron Ritchie or Isbister.
But I do not agree that management "owes" the fans and Linden a final year. Management makes the best decision possible moving forward after a 2nd round upset.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 8:37 p.m. , Blogger Eric J. Burton said...

when you think about the canucks Trevor Linden is the face of the Canucks in my opinion...

 
At August 15, 2007 at 8:52 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess ultimately he decides his own fate: because he could sign with another team if he really wanted to continue playing.

However, I think there is somewhat of a sentimental thing with Linden - you gotta let him have one final year. Sure the job of management is to manage, but there ought to be an honour code or something with this particular guy. Linden is good for business, a good deal financially, good for the fans, good for the city, and good for the image of the Canucks. Sounds like a no-brainer to me, but you are right, I'm not in management (yet). Am I being too namby-pamby? Keep in mind, you're the guy who was arguing about the "code" between GM's when Lowe offered Vanek and PEnner those contracts. Why should there be an honour code between competing GM's, but not an unwritten code between management and a player who has given his all for a team?

Honour code aside, Linden is good for the Canucks.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 8:54 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

And screw you for stirring the pot with a post about Linden, anyways! :-)

 
At August 15, 2007 at 9:33 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I don't think it's fair that you compare my 2 opinions. They are 2 different situations.

"Linden is good for business, a good deal financially, good for the fans, good for the city, and good for the image of the Canucks."

Fuck image! And fuck what the city thinks! It's a business that is measured by SUCCESS. If Nonis feels it's time for younger talent to take over for Trevor in order to achieve more success, then we'll have to trust his judgement and hope his decision is right.

Aside from that, personally I think Linden has 1 more year left in him, and I'll bet he gets signed. He playoff performance is valued. I can't believe I'm saying that after I was calling for him to retire at the beginning of last season.

Maybe Canucks fans should start a Trevor Linden rally. They can all quit working until Linden is re-signed. Walk around carrying signs that say: "IF TREVOR GOES THEN I GO" and then go jump off a bridge if Nonis doesn't re-sign him.

I love stirring the Linden pot, by the way! :) It's great conversation.

 
At August 16, 2007 at 3:38 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

:(

I don't even have words, just punctuation marks.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.