Saturday, August 04, 2007

Is Brisebois nuts?

"I'm just glad to be back in Montreal," Brisebois said Friday after signing a one-year deal with the Canadiens. "I'm a French guy, I'm from here and I'm happy and proud to wear the Canadiens uniform. I can't worry about what the fans think."

The Habs have signed Patrice Brisebois to a 1- year contract and I am wondering if he has a death wish. He was basically booed out of Montreal in 2003-04, mostly because (according to Wiki) he coughed the puck up too much and was a defensive liability. At that time GM Bob Gainey had jumped to his defence, calling the fans who booed him 'gutless'. Strangely, he had the best +/- of his career that season (+17).
It's ok, Patrice, they were weren't booing you. They were saying the French word for GOAL, which is 'but' (pronounced 'boo'). Unfortunately they were referring to the other team scoring......
Canadiens fans are both passionate and fickle. Actually, I watched a Montreal/Buffalo game at the Molson Center in October 2000, when Doug Gilmour and Dom Hasek still played for the Sabres. It was 4-4 with under a minute left and who else but Patrice Brisebois took a slapshot from the point and scored the winner. The fans were not booing him then.
Trevor Linden played for the Habs back then, and was player of the week I believe. He had 8 points in 3 games. It was surreal seeing Linden in a Habs jersey.

Brisebois is 36. He still has the ability to put up some points. He had 10 goals and 38 points for the Avalanche 2 seasons ago. He just is not going to replace the offensive void left by Sourray though.
"I give the team some depth and I think that I can also help with some of the younger players on this team," Brisebois said. "I think the coaches know my game and what I can do. I make a good first pass and I can kill penalties or maybe be on the power play. Whatever I do, I plan to give it my best effort."


Good luck Patrice. Hopefully the fans give you a second chance.

T Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.