Saturday, July 28, 2007

Burke angry at Lowe's blow? No suprise!

You knew that Lowe's offer to Dustin Penner would anger Brian Burke:

"I have no problem with offer sheets, they are part of the CBA," Burke said on a conference call. "I think it's a tool certainly a team is entitled to use. My issue here is this is the second time this year in my opinion Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams and I think it's an act of desperation by a general manager who is fighting to keep his job."
Zing! Love it! Burke is so good at being blunt. Oh wait, there's more:
"I was not notified of this until an agent faxed it into us," he said. "I thought Kevin would have called me and told me it was coming. I thought that was gutless."

"Kevin Lowe has been in Penticton this week," Burke said. "Tonight is the induction ceremony for the B.C. Hockey Hall of Fame and I certainly think this could have waited until Monday. I don't think it shows a lot of respect for the B.C Hockey Hall of Fame.

"I think it's a classless move timing-wise."

I've always thought of the whole thing as a double-edged sword. I agree with Burke calling Lowe out acting out of desperation, but making an offer to an RFA is by the books. But, can you imagine the 3 picks Lowe would have to give up for Penner as compensation??? Is Penner worth it?

T Tags:

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At July 28, 2007 at 5:14 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Lowe does seem desperate. Where is all this money coming from, anyway? Last I checked, TV ratings for the NHL were still abysmal. Here's more on the Penner offer sheet: http://thenewsroom.com/details/536276?c_id=wom-bc-bh
- Brad from The US News Desk at TheNewsRoom.com

 
At July 28, 2007 at 10:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally off-topic man, but wait until you see our NHL '07 team. You'll shit your pants, I swear.

I'm going to try not play until you get back... I don't know if I can last (hehehe), but you gotta see this team.

 
At July 28, 2007 at 11:26 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Dick! I can't even imagine!
You still have Afinogenov?

I'm starting to really enjoy these holidays. Not ready to come back yet. But we will kick ass for the Cup once more in a week I'm sure!

Brad: Lowe is so far under the Cap he can afford to make these silly stabs at RFA's

 
At July 29, 2007 at 9:40 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

But can Lowe afford to be throwing away draft picks? I cannot see Burke matching that offer (and if he does, then both Niedermayer and Selanne will be getting phone calls encouraging their retirements!). How great would it be if Penner shits the bed in Edmonton, eats 4.25 million in salary, and costs the Oil a first, second, and third round pick.

Zany, my top line is still Svatos, Morrison, and Afinogenov. They are all 98 with my upgrades.

I've got two goalies, both over 90 and it is costing me less than 3 million in total.

And the second line? Smolinski is still hanging around with that "Ola Ahl" guy I told you about. Their linemate is a fantastic player that is locked up for the next three season.

His last name is Crosby.

I'll let you dwell on that for the rest of your week. Can't have you forgetting about the important things in life, ya jerk! :-)

Now stop blogging and go enjoy the big city.

 
At July 30, 2007 at 9:02 p.m. , Blogger Eric J. Burton said...

I heard that on XM-204 today that the Oilers are way under the cap or have room and that why they have been making these high offer to RFA's

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.