Thursday, June 14, 2007

Who will take home the hardware?

Alright, the NHL Awards ceremony airs tonight at 4:30 PM pst. Here are the nominees, and my picks for the winners. Who are your picks?
I will update this as the Awards show goes on.

HART TROPHY
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Roberto Luongo
3. Martin Brodeur

My pick: Crosby by a landslide. Settle down, Luongo-lovers!
Actual: CROSBY. Youngest player to win it since Gretzky.

LESTER B PEARSON AWARD(Most outstanding player as voted by the NHLPA)
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Vincent Lecavalier
3. Roberto Luongo

My pick: Crosby of course.
Actual: CROSBY

CALDER TROPHY
1. Evgeni Malkin
2. Jordan Staal
3. Paul Stastny

My pick: Malkin. If Stastny would have come alive earlier in the year....
Actual: MALKIN

FRANK J SELKE TROPHY (Top defensive forward)
1. Rod Brind'Amour
2. Sammy Pahlsson
3. Jay Pandolfo

My pick: tough one. I'll say Brind'Amour.
Actual: BRIND'AMOUR

JACK ADAMS TROPHY
1. Lindy Ruff
2. Michel Therrien
3. Alain Vigneault

My pick: I'm not sure how much fits the criteria here, but Alain Vigneault took a mediocre, half-assed Canucks team from 2 seasons ago, and made the current team believe in his system. It paid off huge. For pulling off a Christ-like miracle, I'd say Vigneault gets it.
Actual: VIGNEAULT

JAMES NORRIS TROPHY
1. Niklas Lidstrom
2. Scott Niedermayer
3. Chris Pronger

My pick: Given Detroit's success this season (in a shitty division even), and Lidstrom's ability to rack up the points like he still can and play superb in his own zone, he is my pick.
Actual: LIDSTROM

LADY BYNG TROPHY
1. Pavel Datsyuk
2. Joe Sakic
3. Martin St. Louis

My pick: I haven't been able to see St. Louis a lot this year. So who is the bigger gentleman? Who is the nice guy? I'll take Sakic.
Actual: DATSYUK

VEZINA TROPHY
1. Martin Brodeur
2. Roberto Luongo
3. Miikka Kiprusoff
4. Henrik Lundqvist

My pick: A tough call between Brodeur and Luongo. I have to go with Brodeur here. His stats this season are sick. 12 shutouts to Luongo's 6??? Yowza.
Actual: BRODEUR

Labels:

6 Comments:

At June 14, 2007 at 3:51 p.m. , Blogger James said...

I'm with you for everything except Veniza.. I say Luongo takes that. Shutouts aside there were stretches where Marty was good but not *great*. Luongo was great 98.5% of the time.

The only reasons I could see Marty taking it is based on 1) reputation or 2) east coast bias.

I had both of these guys in my hockey pool this year and cruised to an easy victory thanks to them!

 
At June 14, 2007 at 4:00 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Luongo was not great 98.5% of the time, IMO. I lost count how many times he'd let the first shot in.

 
At June 14, 2007 at 5:56 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No doubt Vignault earned the JAck Adams. It may be easier to coach a team with Luongo in net, but it takes a great leader to get a nely assembled team to play a system and stick with it. The Canucks were outstanding from Christmas until April and Viggy's coaching was a big part of the reason. Rewarding the hard-workers and benching the slackers:

Pure Genius!

 
At June 14, 2007 at 6:47 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Way to go Viggy!!
Now, will Louie win the Vezina????
Nope..Brodeur....

 
At June 14, 2007 at 10:38 p.m. , Blogger James said...

You called it with the Vezina!

I thought Luongo had a definite chance.. He really should have won it, I suspect all the east coasters doing the voting was the reason. Hell, Kipprusoff and Fuhr are the only two goaltenders who have won it west of Chicago!

I bet even Marty would not consider this year to be a true Vezina year..

 
At June 15, 2007 at 12:02 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I saw Marty look human a few times, but I also saw him look outstanding and much better than Luongo.

Why wasn't there even a whisper of Ryan Miller?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.