Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Is Nonis going to pull off a blockbuster?

Speculation. Rumor-mongering. I love this time of year. Curiosity levels are at an all-time high. And players are rumored to be going everywhere.
Like Scott Gomez coming to Vancouver. Like Dave Nonis making room for Gomez to be signed by dumping Morrison and/or Ohlund's salaries through trades.
Hey, everyone wants to see a big deal happen in Vancouver....
But do we really need another $6 million player on the Canucks? Not at the expense of ruining the depth lower in the roster. I am not getting too hyped about Nonis signing a Briere or Gomez. Not until Naslund's contract is up and we take his $6 million contract off our hands.
To put my own speculation out there, I think an Ohlund and /or Morrison trade is possible sometime this season or even off-season as their contracts expire after next summer. I could see it being Ohlund first, as the Nucks have so much defensive depth. Alex Edler is making Ohlund expendible, IMO. But the $3.5 million saved by trading Ohlund probably won't go towards a marquee player. Rather, Nonis will do the same thing he did last summer, which was go to the Salvation Army and find some cheaper talent that will hopefully improve in Vancouver or over-achieve. Guys that will replace the soon-to-be departed Smolinski, who really didn't work out here, and perhaps Josh Green, Jan Bulis, and maybe even Trevor Linden. Yeah, he'll need a few $1.5 million types, and then stay under the cap a bit. That would be the SMART thing to do, wouldn't it?
Next summer, if Naslund retires, THEN we'll have a new ball game. Then at least the desire for a blockbuster deal will be justified. Just don't expect that this season, yet. If I'm wrong, I'll burn my Sundin jersey and post it.

By the way, you know which cheaper talents I'd like to see come here?
1. Jeff Hamilton. 18 goals and 39 points in 70 games in break-out season. He has good hands.
2. Todd White. Good play-maker. 31 assists and 44 points in 77 games last season.
3. Wes Walz. Speedy and gritty role player.
4. Mark Smith.
5. Erik Rasmussen. Big and strong. Defensively resposible.
6. Adam Mair
7. Bates Battaglia. Watched him all year. A tough gritty winger who scored 12 goals and 31 points in 80 games with limited icetime.
8. Martin Gelinas (oh yeah!)14 goals and 44 points in 82 games. Who wouldn't want Gelinas back? His grit and experience with fit in so well.
9. Anson Carter. Yeah yeah, controversial. But Carter may have to take a huge decrease in salary to continue his NHL career. After searching all or most of last season for a constant 3rd man for the Sedins, unfortunately the right guy for the job was an asshole that left for greener pastures the previous summer. I wouldn't mind seeing him return at a $1.5 million salary, just to make the #rs Dein search go away. And no, Pyatt is not necessarily the right guy for the job.

Anyone else have opinions here? How about Radek Dvorak?

(Thanks Hodge, I stole your Photoshop image!)

T Tags:

Labels:

8 Comments:

At June 26, 2007 at 9:39 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I don't want to see Anson anywhere near a Canucks uniform. I think he burned his bridge here already and is now paying the price for looking at a Sedin gifthorse in the mouth.

I concur about Ohlund too, I've been saying the same thing. I don't think many will jump on Morrison until a deadline scenario, but who doesn't like massive D-men? It would be tough to lose Mattias but if a tier one talent can be brought back who could score, I say pull it.

 
At June 26, 2007 at 4:16 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I think GM's have that 'burned bridge' mentality as well. But hell, that trio worked so well, and I don't always like Pyatt on that line.
I don't want to watch another season of Viggy trying to figure out who is going to fit there.

 
At June 26, 2007 at 6:24 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

All we need are a few tweaks, not a major overhaul. The overhaul happened last summer and now we are into the "fine-tuning" aspect of building a Stanley Cup Winner.

Oh, and you must have cheated at the All-Star Game in NHL '07. I haven't forgotten, and soon I shall have my revenge!

 
At June 26, 2007 at 7:09 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dvorak: lots of talent, yet shows up only half the time. Defense non-existent.

 
At June 27, 2007 at 12:11 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Carter was a big reason for the meltdown in the 'room'. If you look at his career...there has GOT to be a reason he cannot stick with a team. All the talent in the world, but it seems as though he burns through teams awfully quick. To the point in which he was a deadline trade last year by the Canes...and then was a healthy scratch the final week of the season.

I have nothing to prove my theory...but it just smells as though the guy wreaks of a disease in the room.

 
At June 27, 2007 at 12:54 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Expat, that is a very good point. Maybe poor work ethic is on top of that.

 
At June 29, 2007 at 12:41 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either poor work ethic, or he's just an asshole that nobody likes being around. I know, I've worked with some people like that and they have turned the work environment to shit as a result.

 
At June 29, 2007 at 6:39 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Well, Rebecca Bollwitt met him once. You should aske her what she thought of him! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.