Saturday, May 05, 2007

Luongo blamed himself for the Game 5 loss

"It's probably one of the games I felt my best in my career," Luongo said. "I felt [I deserved better], but what are you going to do? Obviously I made a mistake there and it cost us the game. Right now, everything is surreal. Obviously, I'm disappointed because our season is over. I didn't feel like I deserved the season to be over. I wanted to keep going. I think it's going to hit harder when I wake up in the next day or two and I have nothing to do."
The mistake he is referring to is his theatrics towards the referee at the beginning of the 2nd OT, raising his arm to call a penalty like a ref would because he thought the hit on Hansen by Rob Niedermayer should have been a penalty. While he was airing out his armpit, Scott Niedermayer took a shot from the point and it went in. What a terrible way for a series to end. It really is surreal.
But I like how he says that he himself did not deserve for the season to be over. He didn't say 'our'. And that really was the bottom line in Game 5. Only Luongo showed up. He knows that.
I am left only feeling bad for Luongo as he played his heart out this year, and Trevor Linden, who showed that he still has some gas left in the tank. The Canucks will need to address their scoring and size issues this summer. Dave Nonis plans on doing that.
"We've got more to do," Nonis said after game 5. Expect some changes.

T Tags:

Labels:

6 Comments:

At May 5, 2007 at 4:36 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, the Canucks wouldn't even be where they were if it weren't for Luongo. It's a crappy way to lose a series, but when a team loses 2-1 in double overtime it's hardly your goalie who should be shouldering the blame.

 
At May 5, 2007 at 7:57 a.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

$6 million for that piece of crap? Yeesh, we should just get Bertuzzi and Auld back.

m'heh.

 
At May 5, 2007 at 8:19 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cloutier might be available.

 
At May 5, 2007 at 11:00 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

One thing I am loving about Louie is his competitive streak. He gets mad. That reminds me of Roy a bit. He was a candid, honest and angry goalie as well.

 
At May 6, 2007 at 2:03 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is my guess...

1. If Nonis can find a taker, Morrison has played his last game as a Canuck.
2. Rory Fitzpatrick, Brian Smolinski are gone.
3. Luc Bourdon, Alex Edler are in.
4. One of the studly checkers is going to be trade-bait for some scoring punch...Kessler?? Hansen??

Oh...what an off season it will be. The manager in me would have me letting a month go and then having a high level meeting with the core leadership of the team; Naslund, Linden, Luongo, the Twins...and discussing what is needed and what they can do to elevate the team.

If Morrison is gone...or if Linden hangs them up...don't be surprised to see an 'A' on Luongo's sweater.

 
At May 6, 2007 at 11:25 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Yeah, Louie could almost wear the C!

I agree, GZ, Morrison needs to be shipped out pronto!

Hard to say about Kesler though. He missed so much time! I thought he looked great at the intro to the Dallas series. Maybe they will give him a second shot. Then again, at $1.9 million, Kesler had better step up to the plate and hit a home run.
The Sedins will need to play at a more consistent level next time around. Maybe they were sick, yes, bu can you imagine how much further we would have gotten had they not disappeared?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.