Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Damned Red Wings

"You don't get picked to be very good, and then you're pretty good through the regular season, and then someone says you're not a playoff team," Mike Babcock said. "We played two big, strong teams and have done well. And now we're going to get another one."
Tell me I'm having a bad dream. Detroit keeps plugging away in these playoffs and surprising people. I hate it. I hate Detroit. Always have, always will.
The Wings seem to be going the route of the Sens, who were also labelled as chokers in the playoffs. These teams seem to be rallying around these accusations and judgements.
There are some intriguing stories surrounding this Wings team.
- Matthieu Schneider, their 2nd best defenceman did not play in Game 6 and may be lost for the rest of the playoffs with a broken wrist/forearm injury. Didn't faze these guys in Game 6.
- Chris Chelios (240) is 7 games away from catching Patrick Roy (247) for the record of most games played in the playoffs. Despite his age, Chelios is still a fit machine of the Gary Roberts variety. These guys don't quit.
- nor does Dominik Hasek, who at 42 is stoning the opponents this post season, proving his age is not a factor.
- I really haven't given Detroit a chance in these playoffs. I thought the losses of Shanahan and Yzerman last summer would be detrimental, and this team would lack leadership. Nope. Go figure, Shanahan's former team goes further in the playoffs than he does.
- Detroit has 7 players of Canadian decent, 2 Russians, 1 Finn, 4 Czechs, 2 Americans, and 6 Swedes on their current roster. Why does that matter? Not saying...
- The elimination of the Sharks means that there is only 1 team left in the playoffs with a Canadian captain: the Ducks' Scott Niedermayer. There are 2 Swedish captains and 1 American captain left besides Niedermayer. Only once has a team that did not have a Canadian captain win a Stanley Cup, which was the Stars in 1999 with the American Derian Hatcher wearing the 'C'. God bless Canada.
-I can't believe that the Sharks couldn't put these guys away. I will underestimate the Wings again in the semi's, as I pick the Ducks to beat these guys in 6, maybe even 5. To me, it doesn't seem like the Wings have had much competition yet in the Sharks and Flames. The Flames couldn't win on the road and the Sharks folded after the Nabokov mistake in Game 5. I still don't think Thornton played all that well either. He floats out there like Bertuzzi does.
- The thought of Todd Bertuzzi getting this deep into the playoffs makes me ill. He is showing a lot more signs of life in Detroit, but isn't putting up the points. He also drifts a lot still. His back checking sucks. In 10 playoff games this year, Bertrude has 1 goal and 3 assists, 10 shots, and is a -1. Sad, really. This jackass is floating his way through the playoffs.
Can't wait for the Wings/Ducks series to start. It should be an aggressive affair. The last time these 2 teams faced eachother in the playoffs was in 2003. The Ducks swept the Wings, riding Giguere's brilliant play in goal. Jiggy only allowed 6 goals in those 4 games, stopping 165 of 171 shots. Shocker. The Ducks went to the Finals that year. Expect the same this year.

Labels:

22 Comments:

At May 8, 2007 at 12:33 p.m. , Blogger Jibblescribbits said...

amen

 
At May 8, 2007 at 12:43 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm cheering for the Wings against the Ducks.

But ultimately, I'm rooting for the Sabres to win the whole damned thing.

The thought of Ottawa being "Canada's Team" make me want to upchuck.

 
At May 8, 2007 at 1:03 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I can't belive I'm rooting for the Sens in this run. It's like going to church with a Slayer shirt on.

 
At May 8, 2007 at 1:31 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Sens, Go Ducks

 
At May 8, 2007 at 1:32 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I will not stand idly by and listen to an Ottawa insult assisted by a Slayer T-shirt reference. Just give the cup to the Senators now and, if need be, crank "south of heaven" while they do it.

It sure beats the Devils blasting Bon Jovi when they clobbered the mighty ducks in 2003. Ugh.

 
At May 8, 2007 at 1:41 p.m. , Blogger Dear Lord Stanley said...

That reminds me of that old Sportscenter commercial, where a Devils player is walking through the offices with an SC anchor and Bon Jovi starts playing a concert to all the employees. Funny stuff.

Except the part about the Devils winning the Cup.

Anyway, boo Detroit, go Sabres!

 
At May 8, 2007 at 1:46 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I am on the Ducks and Sens Wagons for sure.

"Woh oh! Livin' on a prayer!"

South of Heaven is a beauty tune and album Mike, I must say. I didn't mean any disrespect! :)

Dear Lord Stanley: I had completely forgotten about that commercial!

 
At May 8, 2007 at 3:45 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Sens/Wings final would be too horrible to contemplate, my head asplode.

My two least favourite teams, EVAR.

 
At May 8, 2007 at 5:05 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some Bob Marley if the Sabres win the Cup?

"He was a BUFFALO Soldier... in the heart of America... fighting on arrival, fighting for survival.

Woy yoy yoy yoy, yoy yoy-yoy yoy!"

 
At May 8, 2007 at 5:49 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bettman thought about slashing his wrists when the Rangers got knocked off. The Wings may be his last hope, and even that's no guarantee the general public will tune in.

I think we need Sens/Ducks to compete for the lowest possible TV viewership in a Stanley Cup final. With the Hurricanes/Oilers in '06 and the Lightning/Ducks in '04, that'll be pretty tough to beat. I think the viewer share for the '05 Stanley Cup finals will never be broken though. LOL

 
At May 8, 2007 at 8:01 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lightning/Ducks in '04 ??????

Huh??

 
At May 8, 2007 at 8:05 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Lightning, Devils....what's the diff??? :)

Doobie: Are you by any chance a conspiracy theorist? Just a randon question!

James: The Wings are not allowed to get to the Finals!! No way! I'll go down there and execute Hasek before that happens!
You just can't bring yourself to cheer for a Canadian team that isn't the Leafs huh? :)

 
At May 8, 2007 at 8:11 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Jin: No Marley for me! Gad I hate Reggae!
I'd rather hear
"Oh give me a home
where the Buffalo roam
where Peca and Ward used to play
where seldom is seen
a Briere injured spleen
and Jeanerette is heard yelling
Chris Druuuuuuuuuuuuuray!"

 
At May 9, 2007 at 11:44 a.m. , Blogger James said...

Zan: I could cheer for any team NOT the habs or senators or wings, basically.. I'd like to see a ducks/sens final, though. With the ducks winning it all!

 
At May 9, 2007 at 1:25 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I'm just going to table this: no Bon Jovi songs henceforth at any NHL game. Period. If Bettman can ink that into some bylaw of the league, I'll gladly support any silly idea he comes up. Up to three ideas anyway...then he has to add Nickelback to the list.

 
At May 9, 2007 at 3:37 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Amen to adding Nickelback to the list!

Mike- were you a thrasher who hated poser and glam rock per chance? :)

I actually like the first 3 Bon Jovi albums.

 
At May 9, 2007 at 8:53 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Have you guys ever seen the nhl player celeb playlists on itunes? I think Ryan Smyth had 3 Nickelback tunes on there. Sheesh!

 
At May 10, 2007 at 12:13 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Him and Cam Ward, who has Nuckelback on his mask! What a doof!

 
At May 10, 2007 at 7:02 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the Lightning/Ducks in '04"

Whoops! Sorry, that should be FLAMES, not Ducks, FLAAAAAAMES. The Atlanta Flames. With Tom Lysiak and Rey Comeau leading the way.

 
At May 10, 2007 at 11:32 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I would say I'm an aging thrasher who cannot stand almost anything that comes out on MTV or anything that wins an award or any musical "talent" that I am told is good, "up and coming" or popular. I long for the days of people who play instruments with some frickin emotion and don't mix, remix and re-remix everything to death with Protools.

And you want the irony? I work in the same building where MTV is headquartered. Irony, I tell you, makes this planet spin. Not love, not money...irony.

OK, I'm done. Sorry for using your blog to vent! I'll behave myself now.

 
At May 10, 2007 at 11:43 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

You know, I agree with you 100%.
I can't watch Much Music or the Grammy Awards for any longer than 5 minutes anymore.
The second some punkass rapper comes on the screen it's off!

You like Static X or Lamb of God, Mike?

 
At May 11, 2007 at 8:47 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Oh yeah, they're both some of the lesser known decent bands out there. In truth, I can stretch from them to Bad Religion (still, they have me for life) back to like Disturbed or Godsmack sort of stuff. Anything that has a tendency to be a bit angry...since that's where some really amazing drumming comes in and that's what brought me to this genre to begin with.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.