Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Canucks / Ducks Game 4 Preview

I don't know what inspires me to make such Photoshops sometimes. An overactive imagination on occasion I suppose.

**Update (12:00 PM): From The Vancouver Province: Jeff Cowan was not at practice and may not play tonight. Apparently he is 'banged up.' As well, Kevin Bieksa's problems have alleviated, and he could be available tonight.

**Update (11:55 AM): From The Province- Goaltenders Martin Brodeur of the New Jersey Devils and Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks and centre Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins are the finalists for the Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player.


Power play theories mean what?

The Canucks' power play woes are front and center now, unlike in the Dallas series. It is so easy to pick on a team's lousy power play when they are behind in a series. But the 'you can't win a series with a sub-par power play' theory has too many holes in it. The Canucks were 3-for-38 against the Stars, and Dallas was 5-for-36 with the man advantage. Yet Vancouver still won the series.
The Canucks are 1-for-20 against the Ducks in Round 2. Anaheim is 4-for-21. This is going to sound silly, but if our PP doesn't improve, we can still limit Anaheim's scoring when they are up a man, and then beat them 5-on-5. Alain Vigneault pointed that out (in a sense) earlier in the series. It is possible. An improved power play would solidify Vancouver's chances however.

So what now?

I would not mind seeing Brendan Morrison taken off the point on the power play. Morrison looks absolutely lost and defeated out there. I don't give a shit how much he makes per year, I'd like to see him sit on the bench more often to send a message.
The same applies to the Sedins. Where is their game? They look like a bunch of floating pushovers out there. Make them sit if they don't show more determination.
Hell, like I said before, maybe it's time that the players who are playing at the highest level should be rewarded right now, with the man-advantage and 5-on-5. That would be Bulis and Hansen. Perhaps that is impossible as they kill penalties, but I wouldn't mind seeing what those 2 could do 5-on-4.

According to the players today, they plan on shooting the puck more and putting a better screen in front of Giguere. (video footage)
Luon-human

Not Luongod in Game 3. Expect a strong performance for Louie tonight to rebound from his human performance last game. Every time he goes to play the puck I am still going to cringe though. I'd also like to see the Canucks keep the shooting lanes clear of Duck players more effectively tonight. If Kunitz wants to put his ass in Bobby's face, then give him some stick work. Make him pay for it. Push him out of there.

My Call

I've got a great feeling about tonight. The power play may or may not click tonight. At least they are working on it. It looked better in Game 3 and was rewarded once. I think we'll see more shots directed at Giguere tonight from more angles...desperation. Vancouver will dump the puck in more and aggressively forecheck. They have to. If I see another game filled with Swedes trying to carry the puck into the Ducks' end and coughing it up, I am going to lose it!

The Canucks respond well with their backs to the wall.

2-1 Canucks. Bulis and Smolinski for Van. Pronger for Anaheim. Anyone else feeling confident?

T Tags:

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At May 1, 2007 at 12:21 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I am loving that graphic. Megatron WITH the vintage logo? Good stuff man.

That said, you are smoking the good stuff if you think Bulis and Smoke are scoring in the same game. Giguere would literally need to leave his net and give them no obstacle for that to happen.

Let's rock 3-2 Canucks. Daniel, Ohlund and Naslund. Kunitz and Selanne for those other people.

 
At May 1, 2007 at 12:28 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Hey man, you said I was smoking the good stuff when I said that the Rangers would beat the Thrashers 4 straight!
Aha!!!!

 
At May 1, 2007 at 12:57 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Sorry for catching on to your problem in such a public way my friend :)

 
At May 1, 2007 at 3:16 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Anyone else feeling confident?

I'm feeling reasonably confident, I suppose. But once that puck drops, my confidence goes to crap and I become very bottle-dependent.

Some have told me that I have a drinking problem, but deep down, I know it's nothing but a confidence problem.

 
At May 1, 2007 at 3:28 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Can I be overly confident? I say both Luongo AND the powerplay show up tonight.

4-0. Salo, Ohlund, D. Sedin, and Linden.

Selanne gets 1 shot, and couple of minors. May gets rocked by an injured Bieksa.

 
At May 1, 2007 at 3:33 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Rogene is drunk already!! HAHA
Nice work, man. 4-0 would definitely be a gift from the Luongod.

Earl- I think I have a problem with both! If Spiced Rum didn't taste so damned good, I would be a casual drinker only! If Luongo didn't handle the puck like he does, I wouldn't lack confidence! :)

I can't believe you lack confidence in the Ducks though. They are a deep team that has improved since last year.

Or are you fearing the Canucks?

 
At May 1, 2007 at 3:37 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Oh, no problem with the Ducks--they've set themselves up pretty well this playoff year.

But still, the game gets played on the ice, and a few bounces go here or there and all of a sudden it's not going the way you thought it would on paper.

It's the actual playing of the game that makes me drink. (And talk to pucks. And yell at refs. And scare the neighbors.)

 
At May 1, 2007 at 4:04 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I was totally going to say 4-0!

But instead I'll go with 5-2.

Burrows, D Sedin (2), Sopel, Bulis

Randy Carlyle's eyebrows (2)

 
At May 1, 2007 at 7:13 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

3-2 Ducks! Getzlaf, Selanne & Beauchemin. Ohlund & Pyatt

 
At May 1, 2007 at 8:19 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Earl - NONE of us having a drinking problem. Don't ever let yourself think that.

 
At May 1, 2007 at 11:41 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Dammit, Matt, you got the right score AND the right team! Bastard!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.