Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Round 2 Predictions















After the first round I am looking like a real smartass. I only got the Flames-Wings series wrong. That was a shot-in-the-dark prediction anyway. Here is how I measure up to the 'experts' on the TSN Panel.

Dreger: 8 right out of 8
Zanstorm: 7/8
Duthie: 7/8
McKenzie: 7/8
Pang: 7/8
Roenick: 5/8
Maggie the Monkey: 4/8
Names pulled out of my hat: 4/8

On to Round 2

Canucks vs Ducks

It doesn't really concern me that the Ducks won the regular season series. What concerns me is the Ducks made it to the Semi-finals last season, dropped Lupul and added Pronger in the summer. That is an improvement. Don't get me wrong, I am cheering for the Canucks. But prior to Round 1, I picked a Ducks/Sharks Semi-final this year. I will stand by that and pray I'm wrong for the sake of Vancouver.
Ducks in 6.

Sharks vs Red Wings

The fact that it took the Wings 6 games to beat the Flames is surprising, considering the lackluster play of the Flames. thank Kipper for that. The Sharks disposed of the Preds rather handily and will prove a daunting task for Detroit.
Sharks in 5. Die Wings Die!!!!

Senators vs Devils

Every year I underestimate the Devils. I knew they'd beat the Lightning, but I don't think they'll beat the ready Ottawa Senators. The Sens are rolling right now, and their depth will prove to be too much for the Devils.
Senators in 6

Sabres vs Rangers

To me, this is the toughest one to predict. The Sabres are heavily favored, but the Rangers have all of their players going as well. It goes the distance.
Sabres in 7.

Pulling names out of my hat for the fluke-factor


Ducks in 6
Sharks in 6
Senators in 4
Sabres in 7

Huh...

SPORTSNET'S PICKS

Sabres in 6
Sens in 6
Wings in 6
Ducks in 7

Where the hell is the Cinderella team this season? Is it going to be the Devils or Rangers? I wouldn't really call them Cinderella's in the first place, even though the Rangers upsetting the Sabres would be a surprise to most.

T Tags:



Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At April 24, 2007 at 6:37 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Completely off-topic, but I just had to pass this along to you, buddy, Enjoy :-)

If the Ducks sweep the Canucks, Sleek will be truly unbearable. If it goes six games then I'll be happy. this season is already a success, in my opinion. Everything else from now on is gravy.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 6:40 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I agree completely. But while they are at it, they may as well win the Cup! Can you imagine them taking out the Ducks? The sky would be the limit after that.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 6:58 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Dare to dream!

I just hope the officiating is better in this series than it was in game 7.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 7:33 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Aw, I can be pretty unbearable in any circumstance.

BTW, temujin, you can look for your purchased green T-shirt on TV tomorrow. I'll be in the sometimes-seen Row B seats right next to the Ducks penalty box (cameras should be behind me, and usually the puck has to come near me to be seen).

 
At April 24, 2007 at 7:44 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oh, so you're the guy that falls over the glass and into the penalty box with Alex Burrows and he pummels the shit out of ya!!!
HAHA
You going to take some pics then? You'll run out of film the way the Nucks take penalties.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 7:59 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Nah, unfortunately I only get to fight the Ducks ('Nucks are all the way across the scorer's table). I should go test my camera, last time I was going to bring one it wasn't working.

Y'know, the Ducks have been pretty strong in the 'going shorthanded' department also, shouldn't be so quick to claim that title yet.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 8:01 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

What's up with Marchant?

 
At April 24, 2007 at 8:07 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I'll be looking for ya, Sleek. I think you should have a sign that says "I won a bet with a Canadian and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt"...

or something to that effect.

If you get a chance, say "Hi" to Rob Niedermayer for me. We, errr... go way back. :-)

 
At April 24, 2007 at 8:15 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

I don't really know what's up with Marchant--the paper said he's scheduled to start skating soon (from what, I'm not even sure), but I don't think we should expect him this series.

I'll say hi to Rob, but if you want to know my gripe--I've been in those seats like six times this year and Chris frickin' Lady Byng Pronger NEVER comes over for a visit.

I've had like Selanne like 8 times (including that illegal stick and a dive), Scotty, Andy Mac, but Pronger only gets penalties when I'm watching on TV! I've been contemplating all year what I'd say to the guy (Edmonton misses ya?), but I never get a shot.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 9:01 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Hey Zany, more off-topic stuff, but we were talking about the Memorial Cup qualifying and stuff the other day. I found TSN's page and it sheds a bit of light on the quest for the Memorial Cup. Vancouver is the host city this year, and they are automatically entered into the tournament. The winners of the WHL, the OHL, and the QMJHL playoffs are also entered, for a total of four teams. The paradox here is that Vancouver is in the WHL playoffs, and if they win the WHL title, the losing team in the WHL finals qualifies as the "WHL" representative.

Confused yet? I kind of am...

But I knew I wasn't on crack when I said the Giants were automatically in as the host team the other day!

 
At April 24, 2007 at 10:42 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I believed you. And it does make sense actually.
I just don't like that structure though. But I shouldn't judge it until I actually watch a Memorial Cup.
If Vancouver would win the WHL Tourney, the losing team in that Final would get in a a WHL rep....why does that seem like it lacks some form of integity?

 
At April 25, 2007 at 8:00 a.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

And how many times has a host city that does lousy through the regular season won the Memorial cup? It would be like letting the Blue Jackets into the playoffs and then seeing them win the whole thing, even though they were cannon fodder throughout the season.

Back to the Ducks/Canucks series. I think a Photoshop of Nonis and Burke iks in order. The student is better than the teacher :-)

 
At April 25, 2007 at 8:32 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oddly, I called Burke the master and Nonis the Apprentice in the Game 1 Preview Post...
nice thinking, I'll get on it!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.