Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Canucks / Stars Preview

Is it playoff time yet? I feel like going to bed right now and waking up at 4:00 tomorrow afternoon. I just can't wait.
This is my first time covering the playoffs, so I don't know what quite to expect, besides pandemonium!
The Canucks and Stars series is going to be a nail-biting experience. These teams couldn't beat each other by more than 1 goal all year. Every score was 2-1. Each team won 2 games against each other. Both teams relied heavily on their goaltenders because they couldn't score a lot of goals. I guess we can expect the same in Round 1.
But who holds the overall advantage here?

Season Points Total: Dallas 107, Canucks 105

Defensive Depth: Dallas. One of the deepest D-corps in the NHL. Adding Mattias Norstrom at the deadline was solid. The Canucks' D is good as well, just not on paper.

Offensive Depth: Draw.
Are the Habs kicking themselves for acquiring Niinimaa in exchange for Mike 'the Weasel' Ribeiro yet? Ribeiro led the team in scoring with 59 points. That honor would have gone to Brendan Morrow had he not missed half the season. Mike Modano is not what he used to be, thank God.
The Canucks have the same 'problem' of not scoring many goals, but it doesn't matter when you accomplished 105 points, does it?
Canucks goals-for this season: 21st overall
Stars goals-for this season: 22nd

Powerplay: Draw
Over the whole season: Stars: 18.4% Canucks: 17.4%
In their last 5 games of the season: Stars: 2-for-20 Canucks: 5-for-27
Edge: Draw

Goaltending: Canucks
Luongo is the 2nd best goalie in the NHL behind Martin Brodeur.
Turco has had a rough, brief history in the playoffs and has a lot to prove.
Luongo enters his first playoff series ever, and has a lot to prove also. It may be a goaltending dual from hell.

I think there is more pressure on Dallas to win though, especially after the past few seasons of playoff futility. Adding guys like Lindros, Norstrom, Nagy, and Ribeiro is supposed to give the Stars a chance to go deeper into the playoffs.
The Canucks gutted their team last summer and got better results than most people thought possible. The only pressure from them comes from their Northwest Division Championship.

I don't feel like seeing Zubov and Boucher winding up from the point a lot, so it will be key for the Canucks to stay cool and keep their composure, something this team has not done much of in the past decade in the playoffs.
It will be interesting to see if they keep their intensity level high for every game, which is something they didn't do in the regular season.

My Prediction:
A 2-1 Canucks win in game 1. And the Canucks take the series in 6.
Anyone else want to guess the game 1/series result? The race in the sidebar is still on!

T Tags:

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

At April 10, 2007 at 4:46 p.m. , Blogger Jibblescribbits said...

we'll go 3-1 Canucks in game one.. i think they'll add an empty netter and buck the trend

 
At April 10, 2007 at 6:08 p.m. , Blogger J.J. Guerrero said...

Hey, it's my first time covering the playoffs too. I'm sure it beats the hell out of pretending to cheer for another team. hehe.

GO CANUCKS GO!

 
At April 10, 2007 at 6:20 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

3-2 Canucks in OT

 
At April 10, 2007 at 7:18 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Game 1: 4-3 Canucks in overtime. Series: Canucks in 6.

 
At April 10, 2007 at 8:04 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Canucks in five.

Game one: 4-2 Canucks

Game two: 2-1 Canucks

Game three: 3-2 Canucks

Game four: 2-1 Stars

Game five: 4-1 Canucks...

...and an exuberant Temujin is arrested on 17th Ave in Calgary for excessive public drunkenness, and public displays of nudity for streaking in downtown Calgary wearing nothing but a Cowan-esque bra and the word "Luongod!" written on his stomach.

Pictures forthcoming. WFS will have the scoop, and the exclusive post-bail interview.

 
At April 10, 2007 at 8:16 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

You'll need a new sidebar for Temujin's police record. Or we just start taking bets on that instead!

This is my first time covering it too; friggin exciting as hell save for the fact I'm going to miss game #1. Damn it all...I'll have to go apeshit for the second game.

As for tomorrow, I like Matt's...3-2 Canucks in OT, so I second that.

If Turco gets chased at all this season, I hope a shot finds the lips of every Canuck fan. Instantly. We'll break a Guinness record perhaps?

 
At April 10, 2007 at 8:28 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Mike: I'll make my "one phone call" to you.

If I can manage to remember how to operate a telephone at that point.

 
At April 10, 2007 at 9:36 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Look at Jin, stealing 2 of the 2-1 scores for the next 5 games!
What a thief! :)

I'll drink one mickey of Spiced Rum for every time Turco gets pulled!

Hopefully it's going to be a great, long ride for us Nucklehead fans and bloggers.

 
At April 10, 2007 at 10:54 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Canucks overcome a shaky 1st period full of nerves and puking in their helmets to pull out a 3-2 win in regulation.

I'm so stoked they drew Dallas 1st round, and only because the Stars get a ton of coverage in the US, and I'll get to see 3 out of the first 4, two of them in HD! Can't wait to see GM Place in HD.

 
At April 11, 2007 at 8:26 a.m. , Blogger Jibblescribbits said...

I'm not pretending to cheer for anyone.

But you can't possibly watch a hockey game and not cheer for Someone.. it's impossible. So I am cheering for Vancouver in this series (mainly I disdain the Stars).

I think it's going 7 though.

 
At April 11, 2007 at 1:08 p.m. , Blogger Dear Lord Stanley said...

There's no way I can support the Stars, so I'll be rooting for Vancouver in this series.

Just hope they can shake off the "Bad Luck 'Nucks" moniker they've earned over the years.

 
At April 11, 2007 at 2:54 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

The 2 of you cheering for Vancouver is admirable. I cheered for the Avs in 96 even after they beat the Nucks, and in 2000(?) when they won it with Bourque.

 
At April 11, 2007 at 3:09 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I'll do my best to not end up in the cell next to you Temujin.

 
At April 11, 2007 at 6:38 p.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

2-1? haha is that too much of a stretch ROFL

Canucks win,

canucks win the series in 7 !

i've been listenin to the radio all day and ppl are sooo negative, its brining me down!

 
At April 11, 2007 at 7:04 p.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

KESLER IS IN THE GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At April 11, 2007 at 11:54 p.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

Unbelievable !!!!

its midnight, going into quadruple OT

wow !!

I have to get up for work in 4.5 hours !!! but how can i go to bed with nothing decided !!!!!!

kudos to both goaltenders

 
At April 12, 2007 at 12:36 a.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNBELIEVABLE !

 
At April 12, 2007 at 12:40 a.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Oh Henrick, my Henrick!

What a game. What a goal. Ohhhh baby!

 
At April 12, 2007 at 1:33 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Daniel to Henrik.. oh my!

 
At April 12, 2007 at 1:51 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

5:4, Good morning from Germany.
Stay the whole night before the tv, so proud now! What a big game.
Good for me, I have have vacation this and next week.
But, I need more, it`s a long way to the Stanley Cup Finals! :-)

Rocket up, Joerg
diegrueners.de

 
At April 12, 2007 at 2:11 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Yeah, Joerg, I think we all need about 2 months of holidays starting right now!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.