Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Canucks 4 Falling Stars 1

When Joel Lundqvist scored with a beauty wrist shot at 16:32 of the 1st to put the Stars up 1-0, my heart sank, because I knew that Dallas played superb being up a goal. Right after that goal, the Stars went into their defensive mode and the Canucks looked defeated.
But I don't know what Vigneault told these guys in the 1st intermission, because as soon as the puck dropped in the 2nd period, the Canucks were alive, and never really looked back. To compliment their renewed vigor, they received breaks, power plays, and and power play goals of all things. The Stars just couldn't handle the Canuck onslaught and had that look in their eyes that we did in Games 5 and 6. It was a beautiful sight.
Let me just get something out of the way. The refs were atrocious. That was not a way to ref a Game 7 for fuck's sakes. 3:18 into the 2nd period these bastards decided to make 15 calls (most of them lame) for the rest of the game: 5 against Vancouver and 10 against Dallas. I wouldn't blame the Stars fans for feeling a bit ripped. That was the most pathetic Game 7 refereeing that I have ever seen.

Alright. Trevor Linden decided to take it upon himself to turn the clock back about 10 years and take over this game. Linden played over 17 minutes, had 1 goal (including the game-winner) and 1 assist, 4 shots and was a +1. Trevor made a monkey out of me because I didn't think he had another year in him, as I stated at the beginning of the season. Hey, it's good to be wrong!! He now has the most points I believe amongst active players in Game 7's. What a guy.
This game really showed that home ice advantage means something. The Sedins weren't smothered as much because of the line change advantage and played superb. The fans were insane after the dust settled in the 2nd period and I'm sure made a difference. (JJ, did I see you in the stands? I swear I did!)
After the 1st period scare, the Canucks outshot the Stars 26-11 the rest of the way.
As the 3rd period was winding down, you could see the typical Canucks breakdowns in their own zone. But it was a tremendous save by Luongod and a crossbar that saved our asses before we scored 2 empty net goals. The rest is a blur. The booze flowed freely in celebration. We drove around town wearing Canucks jerseys screaming and cheering, and some dickhead at the bar wanted to tangle with me because he just wasn't having as much fun. Hey, fuck him. The Canucks won, and now we play the Godforsaken Ducks. It's on, Sleeeeeeeeeek!!! I see Earl is already starting a goalie controversy at his site. Poor guy needs to be converted to the Luongod faith ASAP. It's going to be good times Sleek. I look forward to it!

My 3 stars

1. Trevor Linden. Put the damned "C" on his jersey already.
2. Roberto Luongod. How does some playoff excitement suit ya?
3. Hank Sedin. 1 goal 1 assist. God bless the sisters.

I'll have more post game reactions tomorrow. Until then, hope you got up for work today feeling somewhat sober and for sure feeling that is was all worth it!



T Tags:

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At April 24, 2007 at 6:29 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

That's the biggest header I've ever seen. Somewhere Jakob Nielsen is shitting himself.

The Ducks will be an interesting series. As Sleek said, it's pathetic on paper. Then again, besides the PK, we've never looked that great on paper so who cares?

 
At April 24, 2007 at 8:41 a.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

It will definitely be a better series than the regular-season one. Canucks are starting to remind me a lot of the '03 Duck squad: a mediocre power-play, a monster goalie, role players stepping up, and an ability to win close games late.

And yeah, pressure's all pretty much on Anaheim.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 9:17 a.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

UNbelievable :) I"m still on somewhat of a high :)

GO canucks ! I really don't care how we do against anaheim, i'm just pretty pumped that we passed the first round!

that game7 was something to see wasn't it? :D

 
At April 24, 2007 at 10:07 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Mike- a big header to celebrate the occasion! Nothing beats the look on Lindy's face on that pic, huh?

Sleek-it should be closer than the regular season games. If we thought we had it rough with Zubov and Sydor firing shots from the point in Round 1, imagine our fears when Pronger and Niedermayer wind up from there in Round 2.
It's going to be tough.

Jenny- Me too. I'm suprised I even slept last night...oh wait a minute, the excessive booze in my veins helped me sleep.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 11:41 a.m. , Blogger Dear Lord Stanley said...

This Avs fan is rooting for Vancouver all the way. What a great Round 1 series! Time to bring the Cup back to Canada, boys!

 
At April 24, 2007 at 11:45 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was hard to be positive after the first period. Just had a sinking feeling that turned around completely by the end of the second. By that time I kinda knew that they were going to win.
You're absolutely right about Linden. No disrespect to Nazzy, but in the playoffs, Linden is the leader on this team.
Anaheim should be VERY interesting.

 
At April 24, 2007 at 11:56 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

dear Lord- It was exciting as hell. But it also took a heavy toll on my emotions, which in turn took a heavy toll on my liver! God bless the Captain. (Morgan's that is!)

Rod- I was fairly confident that we could beat the Stars. The Ducks, however are going to be super tough. Never will it matter more to stop taking stupid penalties.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.