Monday, March 05, 2007

Not a Manitoba Moose

This is a clip of a guy I know and work with named Darren Pearson. He gathered up the nerve to approach a moose in his yard and it turns out that the moose was pretty friendly. Offering 'her' an apple didn't hurt either.
As much as I would love to do something this, as I love animals, it is definitely not recommended to feed wildlife. This moose could be friendly to Darren and then unpredictably hurt the next person she comes across.
It's a cool clip, anyway.


Here is the second (longer) video he posted on Youtube.

Here is what happens when the moose just doesn't like you.

Unfortunately, we too often see moose at the last minute while driving at night. I've hit 2 moose while driving in the past 5 years. The first one I 'knicked'. That was a calf that only scraped the mud off the side of my car because I skimmed the back of his leg. No harm done. Moose was fine. The second moose I hit was with my truck at 6:30 in the morning on the way to work. We both ended up in the ditch. After the moose and I stared at eachother in shock for about 10 seconds, the moose got up and walked away, and I walked to the nearest unsuspecting house to use a phone to call a tow truck.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At March 6, 2007 at 5:12 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I've never even seen a moose. And you're hit two of them? No fair...save some for the rest of us! :)

 
At March 6, 2007 at 10:09 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

There's too many of them here! We need to extend hunting season just to keep their numbers down!

It hasn't been quite as bad this year though. Alot less accidents involving wildlife, from what I hear.

I guess the only time there are moose the NY area is when the Manitoba Moose come there and whoop the American's asses, huh?

 
At March 6, 2007 at 1:01 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Hey, if the Manitoba version can't come down here and kick our asses around, then who's asses CAN they kick around huh?

The best we get are deer popping into traffic. But something about hitting a moose to me is deeply comical...like hitting a deer on roids.

I knew this guy in high school who claims a family member of his hit a bear out in Oregon. I guess that can happen, but I have to ask what the guy was watching precisely before he plowed headlong into a friggin bear.

 
At March 6, 2007 at 2:00 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

For any wildlife, it depends on the time of day. At night or twilight, you really can't see those fuckers until it's almost too late. Sometimes they come out of the bush along the highway and onto the road. No chance of seeing them.
Hitting a moose is comical in a sense, yeah! But only if you drive a truck. Those Accords, Sprints, etc, go under the moose on impact, crushing the driver and passengers. Not comical..
In BC, they have glowing tape and reflectors put on stems in the ground so that the headlights reflect off of them, keeping the moose off the road. Not sure how effective that is!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.