Monday, February 12, 2007

Just say no to Foppa

I may as well hop on the bandwagon with all the 'Forsberg to Vancouver' talk. It starts to annoy me when we hear every summer and at every trade deadline rumors of Forsberg playing in Vancouver with his best buddy Naslund. It's becoming repetitive. The really big difference now perhaps is that Forsberg is on his last legs and his value has dropped somewhat. Are we even to think that Dave Nonis is going to bite on Foppa?
For every reason, except for the fact that a Naslund/Forsberg combo would be sweet, the answer is and should be a resounding NO. In my opinion, Nonis, who is of Brian Burke mold, will not sacrifice the future of this team on a gamble. He has repetitively stated that. So I guess Forsberg mat not be going to Anaheim either, as was speculated. It's just my opinion.
Nah, the Canucks are 'nearly' fine the way they are, playing as a team, silencing the critics like myself who said they wouldn't score goals this year. Right now the their team chemistry is probably the highest it's been in over a decade.

Think Buffalo. You don't see Buffalo bowing to the gods of greed every time a big name player becomes available. They are building from within. Nonis is doing that now in Vancouver.
Don't pay attention to what Calgary is doing. So what if they got Conroy back and now lured in Brad Stuart. Calgary is rolling the dice with their team chemistry when they add and subtract this many players. Even if those guys help the Flames what does it matter? Is Calgary that much better than us? Nope.
If the Canucks can keep focused and continue to bow to and believe in the system of Vigneault, they should be absolutely fine and are playoff-ready, oh yeah, believe it!

Priorities. So if not Peter the Fragile, then what are Nonis' plans for the deadline? A part of that depends on the return date of Ryan Kesler. Let's just say Kesler returns before the playoffs. Then can we expect Nonis to look for a bonafide backup to Luongo? Sabourin is not quite ready to face pressure at the NHL level. Every time I see Luongo lay on the ice like he's dead after something happens to him, I freeze with fear! I wonder if Nonis feels the same when that happens...of course he does!
Priority #2 would be to fill Kesler's spot if he didn't come back. To that, I still say Martin Gelinas or Gary Roberts-types. Someone with a Cup ring or playoff experience.
But honestly, as much as it wouldn't hurt to have Naslund and Forsberg on the same line, I think we should be patient with Nonis and this team. The Flyers' asking price for Foppa is too high I'm sure, and we should horde any top round draft picks that we get and have, not piss them away on a big-name guy with a hospital wristband. That is something that the Leafs will do.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At February 12, 2007 at 5:06 p.m. , Blogger Canuckfan said...

I agree with you 100%: a big noppa for Foppa.

Your point about team chemistry is interesting: it's difficult if not impossible to describe or quantify without frankly just making up stuff ("so-and-so is good in the room"), but I believe it's important.

I hope Nonis sticks to his guns. Maybe a forward to replace Kesler... but I don't want a lot of movement like I did last year. I was screaming for Carney and Weinrich and a backup 'tender last year, and what did it get me? It got me cheering for the g**d*** OILERS in the playoffs, that's what it got me.

Every time I think about that I throw up a little in my mouth.

 
At February 12, 2007 at 5:41 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Hey, Canook fan! Welcome to the hockey blogosphere!
Yeah, we'll skip the Carney and Weinbitch upgrades this year!
I just checked out your site, and I was going to post the same thing sometime about Portuondo calling them the Canooks. It really isn't funny, Jason!

 
At February 12, 2007 at 7:49 p.m. , Blogger Matthew Macaskill said...

Cool! I hope you really influence Nonis not to get Foppa so the Habs have a better crack at him! :D

 
At February 12, 2007 at 8:33 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Haha! Are the Habs hunting for a center?
I say if Forsberg goes anywhere it will be Atlanta.

 
At February 13, 2007 at 12:02 a.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

I couldn't agree more with your article. I was listening to the radio on my way home from work tonite, and they were going on and on about forsberg possibly coming to Vancouver and what a great idea that would be. He would fit in with all the other swedes we have here, play on a line with naslund blah blah blah. I was thinking, last i heard he wasn't even healthy, and its questionable that he'll ever regain true forsberg form. WHY WOULD WE WANT THAT ON OUR TEAM !!!! I certainly hope NONIS doesn't do anything stupid !!!!!!!


I SAY NO TO FORSBERG TOO!

 
At February 14, 2007 at 11:42 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like everyone's just jumping on the bandwagon to say no to the greatest hockey player in the league and possibly the world right now. I don't care if he doesn't get a million points a season, people outside of Colorado and Philadelphia have not gotten the priviledge to watch this man play. Any team that ends up with him will be surprised at his talent. He can literally stop play and set up a goal. For all you non-believers, I hope he goes to your team and shuts all your stupid no-hockey sense mouths with his skill! Yeah, I'll be the one laughing when he ends up getting 163 points next season for the Flyers.

 
At February 14, 2007 at 11:44 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny is a complete moron. He's been healthy for a couple months and recently registered a 4 assist game about a week ago. If she actually watched hockey, maybe she would know that.

 
At February 14, 2007 at 1:49 p.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

i'm a moron, that's awfully kind of you thanks !!!

its just my opinion - he has run into injury problems in recent seasons

am i not entitled to that?

whats with the personal attacks?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.