Saturday, January 20, 2007

Dany Sabourin deserves praise

After the shootout loss to the Sabres last night, coach Vigneault had this to say:

"He showed a gutsy effort for a kid who doesn't get a chance to play a lot," said Vigneault, who gave starter Roberto Luongo a rare day off. "Our whole group is disappointed we didn't find a way to get two points for him."
You could see that the way the Canucks consoled Sabourin after the game ended. They all said something extra to him. Maybe: "Sorry, Sabou, we should have helped you get your first win."
Regardless, it was a hell of a game. The Canucks did look a bit dopey and road weary (except in the 2nd period), but Sabourin played a strong, almost brilliant game, and almost stole a win.
Ah, but the Sabres tied it up with only 40 seconds left in the 3rd: a flukey, lucky-break goal by Chris Drury that went off a few bodies before it trickled past Sabourin's glove. It was intense wasn't it? I just wanted the Canucks to win it for Sabourin, because he damned-well deserved it. And then to have it settled in a shootout.....damn. That game would have deserved to be played out in OT until someone scored.
So close, it was heart-breaking. 33 stops on 36 shots. Second star of the game. Did anyone see this happening? Not me. Hey, we may have a good backup goalie after all!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 20, 2007 at 5:52 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more !!! It was a heartbreaking game, I was sitting just crossing my toes and my fingers in the hopes that the canucks could win it for Sabourin. After a performance like last night he deserved that win.

i was so disappointed - its funny really, They got 7 out of 8 points on the road trip, and we're disappointed with them. ha ha :)

they rock I love this team !

It sure would have been nice to see Sabourin get his first NHL win though. I do hope they give him another chance soon. I say start him against LA after the all star break !!!!!!

 
At January 20, 2007 at 6:19 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I agree! Actually, I was suprised that they fed Sabourin to the wolves, (or the Sabres). I thought Luongo should have played last night, and that, like you said, Sabourin could play against the Kings next week. Oh well. The mad genious of Alain Vigneault.

 
At January 20, 2007 at 6:27 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Sabourin play in a pre-season game against Buffalo where he stopped close to 45 shots and was wondering why he seemed to struggle this season but it's nice to see he's capable of helping his team out. Not a bad guy to have on the bench, but you guys still have Luongo :P

 
At January 20, 2007 at 6:38 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

But what if Luongo goes down to injury?
One good game by Sabourin has not totally convinced me yet. I just hope he can repeat that performance!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.