Thursday, December 07, 2006

Joe Nieuwendyk retires

Joe has finally thrown the towel in due to recurring back problems.
''This game has been great to me,'' said Nieuwendyk. ''I am forever grateful to all those players, coaches, general managers and everyone that I have been associated with throughout my playing career. I have had a lot of fun playing this game, but it was time for me to make this decision, as it was in the best interest of myself as well as my family.''
''I have the reached the stage where structurally my back isn't going to get any better. It's not the way I intended it, but I have to be realistic as well,'' Nieuwendyk said.

Joe leaves the NHL with an impressive resume. He had 1126 points in 1257 games. He won the Stanley Cup with 3 different teams: Calgary in 1989, Dallas in 1999, and New Jersey in 2003. He won the Conn Smythe trophy as the playoff MVP in 1999. I can still remember that playoff run. He was dominant, scoring 21 points in 23 games for Dallas, and scoring multiple winning goals. The 21 points was even more impressive because Dallas was so stingy on defence and didn't score alot of goals.
Nieuwendyk retires at the ripe age of 40. Good luck Joe. It's been fun watching you!

Should Joe go into the Hockey Hall of Fame? I think he should. Here is what Sportsnet's Ray Ferraro thinks.

3 Comments:

At December 7, 2006 at 8:22 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

He was the architect of one of the worst moments in NHL playoff history: the non-call on Hakan Loob's kicked-in GWG in 1989. It should be shown in every single referee school in the country. It was so crystal clear. The puck was kicked in. Yet the referee refused to wave it off.

For that, Nieuwendyk is dead to me.

Hockey Hall of Fame? How about an unfortunate boating accident in southern Florida?

 
At December 7, 2006 at 10:01 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Hakan Loob? You mean Joel Otto?
Where's the love?
You are referring to the winning goal in OT right?

 
At December 7, 2006 at 11:14 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

Dang, I always get those two mixed up. Are you sure it wasn't Loob? :-)

I was mostly just being silly of course, although I do enjoy saying "Loob".

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.