Thursday, December 28, 2006

Canucks, against you have I sinned!

Call me Judas. Call me Chris Pronger. Call me a cheating spouse. I have sinned this past week. I have been a traitor to the Canucks cause, verbally bashing them when they were down on the road trip, and being a turncoat by putting a Black Hawks header on this site.
Oh Linden, please forgive me for hating you. You have been nothing short of inspiring in the past few games. Maybe you deserve to be on the roster after all. Maybe you shouldn't hang up your protective cup just yet.
Daniel and Hank, my apologies for disgracing you, my brothers.
Please welcome me, the traitorous bastard that I am, back into your fold. Extend your hand to help me back onto the wagon.

In all seriousness, last night's game was a beauty. We aren't used to seeing a 6-5 game on the West Coast this year. A couple of points about the game...

  • Linden looks good beside the net on his off wing during the powerplay. HE scored another goal from there and missed another golden opportunity. But you could see the Flames adapt to that as the game went on, putting 2 guys in that passing lane. Don't expect Linden to bag many more from that spot. He'll have to move around a bit more.
  • We are seeing the old Linden once again. He is shooting the puck more. His icetime continues to increase as he 'takes the bull by the horns'. Last night's icetime: 17:25! A far cry from the 5.5 he was getting at the start of the season.
  • A Canuck team that capitalizes on its chances all of a sudden? The Canucks were outshot in the 2nd and 3rd period 28-7, and still managed to score 3 goals in that span. Yeesh. Blame Kipper, I say!
  • What are we to make of Matt Cooke now? I don't think he liked his report card this semester. If he can continue to play like that with Morrison and Linden, then we've got ourselves some secondary scoring.
  • Markus Naslund looks slow, or lazy, or lost. Which is it? He only played 15:26 last night. I am going to guess injured. Even so, he isn't the captain of this team on the ice lately.
  • The Bieksa/Mitchell combo was all over the Iginla line again last night. They are also approaching McCabe/Kaberle ice-times.
  • I don't remember seeing a division race this close. The Northwest is bloody insane. It looks as though we could see everyone get a stab at 3rd in the West and 1st in the NW until springtime. The bad part is that when they are not 3rd in the West, they drop down to a 7th or 8th spot or lower, because the Sharks, Wings, and Stars have clogged up the 4th-6th spot and are 10 points ahead of anyone in the NW. Madness.


As for the header on this site, it won't always be loyal to the Canucks or Leafs. I think it will become more general over time.

8 Comments:

At December 28, 2006 at 3:21 p.m. , Blogger Margee said...

You're not a true fan unless you bitch about your team. Only this year has the Yashin bashin' stopped in Isles country (all three blocks of it). Only you can hate on your team. If it's another team's fans, it's a whole other story.

 
At December 28, 2006 at 4:16 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You realize that the Canucks climbed to first while you had the Hawks banner up! You may have jinxed them by changing it.

What's the distinction between "the old Linden" and "an old Linden" - two goals? Remember a young Linden - that was the old Linden! This new Linden, he's an old Linden!

 
At December 28, 2006 at 5:05 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Margee- I am a traitor anyway. I like the Leafs! Cool site you have, I added you to our blogroll. I didn't know that an Islanders blog existed!

RC- HAHA I guess so! Well put!
It's easy to lose perspective when you are drunk and happy over his 'resurgence':)

 
At December 28, 2006 at 5:37 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ought to be drunk with happiness over the Canucks keeping their heads above water in a tough division.

From my experiences, Vigneault seems to take some getting used to by players. Once his ways are practice, his teams prosper. His biggest drawback with the Habs were the injuries - they were never worse than they were during his tenure.

Keep smiling, things are on the up!

 
At December 28, 2006 at 6:06 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, forget it... the boat sailed and you missed it, asshole.

 
At December 29, 2006 at 2:13 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reality Check... Fuck you and the goddamned french fucking shitbag horse (sorry... "le horse") you rode in on.

Linden Rulez. ZOMG!!!ONE 1!!! ELVEN !!! I ENJOY JESUS!!!111!!!


Woo hooo!

A Canuck team that capitalizes on its chances all of a sudden? The Canucks were outshot in the 2nd and 3rd period 28-7, and still managed to score 3 goals in that span.

Well blow me down! ka-kakakakaka!

I think this team has turned a corner. By January 25th, this team will have a solid grip on 1st place in the NW... and by "solid grip", I don't mean to tease RC... we all know he likes the solid grip.

SOLID GRIP!

Go Canucks!

 
At December 29, 2006 at 7:57 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, upon re-reading my comment in a not-so-drunken light, it appears as though I was very harsh.

Reality Check: Don't take that previous comment literally, I was in a very light-hearted mood when I wrote that. Damn, I didn't mean to sound that angry. Sorry, bud!

 
At December 29, 2006 at 9:43 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Actually, I thought it was all meant in good fun when I read it last night.
This team hasn't turned a corner. If it is a corner, it's a real short one, followed by another nasty corner.
You can't expect guys like Linden, Cooke, Morrison to put out consistently, because they aren't going to do that.
But hey, this ride is fun as long as it lasts!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.