Tuesday, September 12, 2006

HOW TO WIN YOUR HOCKEY POOL part 1

As a person who's never lost a hockey pool (kidding of course, I'm from BC not Ontario), I thought it would be charitable to pass on a few tips to make your poolie season more enjoyable. Sitting in the basement all season like the Florida Panthers does nothing for the ego or the pocketbook, unless you're in a pool which gives the worst team their money back, then it's sort of ok.


  • Be the Administrator of the pool if at all possible. (Power is god)
  • Influence the rules of the pool somehow. (Suggestions to follow)
  • Know your enemy 1 (Taking Datsyuk one pick in front of a Wings fan = priceless)
  • Know your enemy 2 (Take advantage of the weakest poolie..."he's on Crosby's line, I think")
  • Be the biggest distraction possible (Bother everyone to pick faster then take forever to make your own selection)
  • Start looking for a pool for next year (Chances are you're not going to be invited back)
Next week, I'll take an in depth look at how to actually influence your enemies choices.

3 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 at 8:58 a.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Don't forget the most important rule (that I break the most): don't draft/trade with your heart.

I'm in the middle of negotiating a deal where my best players leave for some Pronger/Niedermayer stats. Should drop me from a contender to an also-ran.

 
At September 12, 2006 at 12:19 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Oh no, Earl, don't do it!!!Who's the forwards you are giving up?

See Hodge? My Hitler references as far as you being the administrator goes weren't too far off were they?

 
At September 12, 2006 at 2:40 p.m. , Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Who's the forwards you are giving up?

Right now the offer is sitting out there:

Kiprusoff and Sykora for Niedermayer and Pronger.

Don't know if he'll go for it (he's an oiler blogger, so maybe), and I definitely don't know if it's worth it, but I am strong in G and heavy in RW, so it might be the way I fill my defense.

Purely a homer move, we'll see if he bites.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.