Tuesday, September 12, 2006

CANADIENS TO RETIRE TWO JERSEYS


The Canadiens will hold a press conference on Wednesday to announce the retiring of Ken Dryden and Serge Savard's numbers.
This brought about feelings of anger inside of me, being a Leafs fan, since the Leafs don't retire many jerseys. I believe the Bruins have retired more jerseys than the Habs have (10 Bruins jerseys to 7 Habs jerseys)! So come T.O....get moving!
Dryden (#29) and Savard (#18) will join the likes of #1 Jacques Plante, #2 Doug Harvey, #4 Jean Beliveau, #7 Howie Morenz, #9 Maurice Richard, #10 Guy Lafleur, and #16 Henri Richard in the rafters.
Be sure to check out Eyes on the Prize in the next day or so. I'm sure Reality Check will have a good post on these 2 guys soon. I'll bet Savard's spinorama will be included. I'm just glad I scooped him on a Hab story!
***Anouncement cancelled due to college shootings***

4 Comments:

At September 13, 2006 at 5:14 AM , Blogger reality check said...

I remain unscooped on this one - read the last line of my "read the news post", but thanks for trying.

Leafs have retired Ace Bailey (4)and Bill Barilko (5), the remainder are honoured, and as we know still worn.

Add to the Habs list: The Boomer Geoffrion (5), Dickie Moore (12) and Yvan Cournoyer (12). No one has worn 19 since Larry Robinson has hung it up. It remains unofficially retired as the Habs wait for the Big Bird to drop his demand for an appearance fee.

In 2008, possibly Roy and Robinson will get the nod.

Look for post on my blog when they raise Dryden and Savard next year some time.

Did you know that Denis Savard also wore 18 and did the spinerama. Valeri Bure tried it in that jersey and got dizzy!

 
At September 13, 2006 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Zanstorm said...

HAHA, true Savard was #18 and spinneroonied as well! Hilarious!
Ah you know I'm just bugging you, RC.

 
At September 13, 2006 at 8:45 AM , Blogger reality check said...

Of course, I always appreciate insects, HA!

Is there a Wang's World blog yet? I just can't get enough of this story!

 
At September 13, 2006 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Zanstorm said...

me neither, just posted a blurp on it, and the Kozlov signing. What a great start to the week for news! I was getting bored lately!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.