Monday, July 31, 2006

DRAFT DAY STEALS



It has been a slow week for hockey news so I figured I'd share with you some baffling steals at NHL draft days from 1992 to 2002. We obviously are not fully aware of any steals from 2003 to 2006.
The two Detroit drafts of Zetterberg and Datsyuk always amaze me. I can't say enough about their scouting staff. Another beauty is that in 1998, the Lightning drafted Vincent Lecavalier 1st overall, and Brad Richards 64th.
A known fact is that European players tend to go under the radar, as we have initially drafted North American players. You will see more of this when I post draft steals prior to 1992.
This is less the case in recent years, and the growing trend of drafting more Europeans should increase in years to come. If you have any others to add to this time frame please feel free to discuss!

3 Comments:

At August 1, 2006 at 9:31 a.m. , Blogger Ingmar "W" Bergman said...

I admire the Red Wings when it comes to their drafting. And I'm a Blues fan!

I hate them on the ice though.

 
At August 1, 2006 at 2:22 p.m. , Blogger mike said...

Carter was drafted in 1992? Holy Crap.

 
At August 1, 2006 at 2:33 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Yeah, and by Quebec too, I didn't know that!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.