Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bourdon aftermath / Canucks Place Donation

I am still in somewhat of a shock over Luc's death today. A lot of questions go through my mind. How and why did he lose control of his motorbike? Was he driving erratically? Did some jackass cut him off? A witness told the Vancouver Sun today that Bourdon had a head on collision with a transport truck and ended up underneath it dying instantly. The witness also said that based on observations it was Bourdon who crossed the center line. That is not officially confirmed at this point by RCMP. So don't read too much into that.
I think I am more angered than anything else, for several reasons. For one, he was only 21 years old. Secondly, he was improving quickly and probably ready to make the jump to the Canucks team. Thirdly, the team is going to miss out on what he would bring to the blueline, which would have been a lot. A matured Bourdon could run a powerplay, play strong in the defensive zone, and knock someone flat on their ass. He was fearless.
I just have to get over it. It's just such a fucking waste is all.
I like what Rypienitup posted at the Canucks.com forum today:

Be thankful for your life, and for the lives of those around you. I'll be making a donation of $28 to Canuck Place in Luc Bourdon's memory, and if you can afford to, please do the same. We're a fanbase that is as divided as any, but hopefully we can come together in this difficult time to make a positive difference on a day that started so tragically
Now that is a great idea and a positive solution for this tragic day. I am going to donate $50. I challenge all of you as well to do the same and maybe more. Donations to Canucks Place can be made here.
For a more in depth look at the character of Luc Bourdon, check out Alanah's post at Canucks and Beyond. There is a terrific story there.

**UPDATE**
Remember when Bourdon stole the show during a dance competition at the Canucks Dice and Ice Evening? OK, check it out. Great moves by Luc. Maybe it will make you feel better.




T Tags:

Labels:

9 Comments:

At May 29, 2008 at 6:16 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easiest $100 I've ever spent. Good call.

 
At May 29, 2008 at 6:59 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donating to Canucks Place was a great idea, Sean. Thanks for that.

 
At May 29, 2008 at 7:04 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

The idea actually came from Rypienit up at the Canucks.com forum. I'm just passing it along!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 12:57 a.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

so tragic............

Bourdon will be missed !!!!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 2:35 a.m. , Blogger Sarah said...

I still don't want to believe it. Been in between staring into space and crying since I heard the news. Those kids feel like family to me :(

The donation idea is inspired. I sent mine in last night after reading the post on CDC, and it was possibly the most selfish donation I ever made, because for a little while it made me feel a bit better.

I'm glad that some good will come out of this tragedy. Hopefully they will establish some kind of foundation in Luc's name and make the contribution more lasting somehow.

Sorry I'm rambling, still in total shock.

 
At May 30, 2008 at 10:58 a.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

I was at this game. I saw the whole thing, live. He was burned by Ovechkin at the point after a bad pinch-in, then went tearing up the ice and... well, just watch.

LLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCC!

 
At May 30, 2008 at 12:40 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

What an awesome defensive play! Lucky bugger that you got to see it. I never saw Bourdon play live.
Sarah: Think of the donation more as a celebration of his life and helping a worthy cause.
Giving to others to make ourselves feel better or more fulfilled in life is a normal human habit. It is encouraged by therapists everywhere to deal with depression. Even selflessly giving makes you feel better inside. There's no use in feeling guilty about it.

 
At May 30, 2008 at 3:27 p.m. , Blogger Mike said...

I referenced the donation thing in my canucks.com post today. Well done man.

 
At May 30, 2008 at 4:41 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Thanks Mike, and thanks Rypienitup.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.