Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Senators / Ducks Game 5 Preview

The Sens appear to be confident heading into Game 5 in Anaheim tonight. (Ottawa Sun) But they probably just sound more confident. They have nothing to lose. It's now or never. A win in Anaheim could change their fortunes in this series. They could go back home down a game, win in Ottawa, and force this bad boy to a Game 7.
But don't count on it. Gone is the Sens team that man-handled the Penguins, Devils and Sabres. Gone is that killer instinct and domination. Gone is the reliability of Ray Emery. He has been good, but has allowed too many softies. There are not enough things going right for the Sens right now. They look completely inconsistent out there and are breaking down.
There are a lot of great things happening for the Ducks. When they play Carlyle's system to a T, they are nearly unstoppable. The Ducks once again forced a lot of turnovers from Ottawa in Game 4 and sped up the ice with odd man rushes. That kind of thing is going to bury the Senators, and really has buried them in this series.
It is going to take a colossal team effort from Ottawa to change it, and to now win 3 games in a row against a superior team.
But I am tired of saying that.

My Call

That's right, I'm writing the Sens off. I quit. The Ducks win this game 4-1. What a sight that will be. I still hope I'm wrong though. I'm not ready for hockey to be over yet.

What really gets me is that this Finals is about opposites. I didn't think the Ducks were playing all that well against Detroit and were somewhat lucky to get into the Finals in the first place. I thought the Sens were pretty dominant all the way through the first 3 rounds. As soon as these 2 teams face eachother the exact opposite happens: the Sens go for a dump and the Ducks start playing consistently.



Holy hell, what a major statement by the Islanders today buying out Yashin's contract. Enough was enough. What a great move to move on from the worst contract signing in NHL history. The Isles will be paying out two-thirds of that lump of underachieving poop's remaining 4 years ($17.6 million). That would be about $2.2 million per season. Gotta love the buy-out option, huh?

T Tags:

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At June 6, 2007 at 1:16 p.m. , Blogger James said...

Damn straight. Ducks will go about taking the sens apart with their trademarked quiet determination. That's the thing that surprises me the most about the ducks - nothing seems to get them rattled. They just keep plugging along without losing their heads or looking like idiots. Their D is rock solid (natch) and their forwards are not defensive liabilities.

The Senator's reliance on the one big line seems to have really cost them. It worked against the sabres, who don't have the tough brusing defensemen that can punish the ASH line like the ducks do. While I'd always like more hockey, it's time to put the sens out of their misery and finish it in 5. It'll be a joy to see teemu get a cup!

I see the leafs signed Antropov. They didn't pay too much I guess, but it rates a solid "meh" for me anyway. I just hope to hell the leafs dont have any ideas about yashin! *heart attack*

 
At June 6, 2007 at 1:27 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

I just posted the Antro story. I don't like him!

Teemu raising the Cup will be a great sight. Same with Jiggy and Rob Niedermayer. Hell, even Brad May!

 
At June 6, 2007 at 2:06 p.m. , Blogger Margee said...

Dude, you just called Yashin "poop." Well done.

I'm beside myself over them dumping him. It's a grand day indeed.

 
At June 6, 2007 at 2:17 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

The Islanders are on the rise, and eliminating Yashin is another pivotal step to turning that franchise into something respectable. It's about time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.