Thursday, March 29, 2007

Canucks resign Salo

So much for a bitter contract dispute with Salo this summer. Dave Nonis has signed Salo to a 4-year deal today. Terms of the deal were not disclosed at this time.
I wonder kind of dollars Salo will make. He is currently making $1.5 million per season. I'll bet Nonis doubled that, perhaps at the most. Any other guesses out there? If that's the case, there will be some changes in the summer to absorb that money. (Like dumping Naslund perhaps?) His earnings probably escalate over the 4 years.
I am mostly concerned with Sami's ability to stay healthy. The last time he played anywhere near a full season was in the 2002/03 season (79 games).
But his presence at the point seems to be on the increase every year. There is no mistaking his booming slapshot. He plays over 21:00 per game, and has proven to be a clutch player with 6 game-winning goals this season.
The Nucks originally acquired Salo on September 21, 2002 in exchange for Peter Schaefer.

Tags:

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At March 29, 2007 at 5:41 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

The shrills at the Canucks forum are saying 3.5 million per season. That sounds about right. I'd like it to be less, of course, but if he tested the market in summer he'd surely get more.

This is how a negotiation should be. Nonis said early on he was committed to re-signing Salo, and mentioned on PPV that he was hopeful a deal would get done. I'm glad they got it done now, and it wasn't a distraction throughout the season.

How can I ever go back to my anti-Salo slurs now?

 
At March 29, 2007 at 5:54 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

GM's say alot of things but don't always tell the truth to the media. I don't blame them.
I just hope Salo stays healthy.

And yeah, you are stuck with him now!

 
At March 29, 2007 at 9:23 p.m. , Blogger Jenny said...

very happy with this !!! Glad to see that salo is sticking around ! It will be interesting to see what the numbers amount to when all is said and done. I"m saying 3.5/4 mill I think but what do I know? I"m just guessing :D

 
At March 29, 2007 at 10:48 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Well Jenny, you were right. He got $3.5 million per season. Still a bargain.

 
At March 30, 2007 at 8:20 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Perter Schaefer, but the Canucks did need the D man at the time.

 
At March 30, 2007 at 8:41 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Yeah, I miss Shaefer's skills on the PK, but in the end, we got the better guy.

Now who did we give up to get Magnus Arvedsson? Was it Bill Muckalt?

 
At March 30, 2007 at 9:06 a.m. , Blogger Mike said...

Arvedson was a free agent we picked up if I recall correctly. Muckalt was moved to the Isles in part for Potvin...I remember that one because Muckalt was moved along with Scatchard...I still miss getting to say SCRATCH HARD.

 
At March 30, 2007 at 9:14 a.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

ScratchHard?!! Wahahaha!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.