Sunday, August 20, 2006

CLASSIC NHL QUOTES PART 2

"It was loud and I assumed ... five or three seconds had gone by. I didn't really hear anything but everybody let up. I don't know how the ref saw the puck unless he has X-ray vision. He was behind me. If he wants to be the show, he should have signed up to be a hockey player, not a ref."
-- 3/30/02: Anaheim Ducks goaltender Steve Shields on a goal scored by Daniel Sedin when everyone thought there had been a whistle, but there wasn't

"Has that ever happened before in Duck history?"
-- 1/30/02: Anaheim's Marty McInnis, on his team's fifth consecutive win

"Hockey is nothing but organized aggravated assault involving grown men chasing a small piece of rubber around with sticks. You gotta love it."-- Sarah John's Uncle

"Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesnt mean I'm not a nice person."-Jeremy Roenick

"It must be the body. Its chiseled out of marshmallows." -Tony Amonte on possessing the NHLs second-longest active playing streak.

"The only difference between the Coyotes and Days of Our Lives is that nobody has been shot on our team yet." -Jeremy Roenick on the trade rumors around captain Keith Tkachuk.

"Every time a puck gets past me and I look back in my net, I say 'Oh,oh'"-Bernie Parent, when asked why he wore #00 in the WHA

"Every time I see you naked, I feel sorry for your wife"-- Jaromir Jagr to Matt Barnaby

"We only speak two languages here - English and profanity"-- Kevin Constantine

"Lunch is on me"-- Brendan Shanahan after signing a $26 million contract

"Over the years, Steve has come to understand I need the clicker. He says it's my security blanket." - Brendan Shanahan

"The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform." -Brett Hull's analysis of the game

"I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." --Jim Valvano

"By the age of 18, the average American has witnessed 200,000 acts of violence on television, most of them occurring during Game 1 of the NHL playoff series." --Steve Rushin

"A player must be able to skate, have hockey sense, be able to shoot - not necessarily able to score - and have drive." --Pierre Page

Mike Modano, on Sergei Fedorov’s breaking three sticks on Dallas players: " I don’t know if Anna (Kournikova) told him to get tougher or what."

"Half the game is mental; the other half is being mental." --Jim McKenny

"Our first priority was staying alive. Our second was stopping the puck." -- Glenn Hall, on playing without a mask

"I was happy to have an attraction in our building that we didn't have to pay for." -- Harold Ballard, on a streaker in Maple Leaf Garden

"So here I am running at guys who aren't taller than 5-foot-8, and I'm the one who tears up his knee."-- Chris Chelios

"I’d rather answer dumb questions from the media in Phoenix than answer dumb ones in Philadelphia." -- Keith Tkachuk on rumours of a Tkachuk-for-Lindros trade.

"Maybe there wasn't much hot water in the showers. I'm not sure." -- Scott Stevens (The Devils’ captain comments on the fact that Jaromir Jagr left the ice with 30 seconds remaining in a game)

"Eight days ago, we were the toast of the town. Eight days later we're Thanksgiving turkeys." --Wayne Gretzky on the LA Kings 0-5-0 road trip

"Ziggy kind of surprised me. I guess he was just pretty happy to get a goal. I guess that’s what Europeans do. But if he tries it again, I’ll run to the bench." -- Travis Green regarding the kiss on the lips Zigmund Palffy gave him after a goal

"I know those guys who wear visors are sweeties, but that’s a little too much." --Don Cherry commentating after a goal, Islanders’ Zigmund Palffy kisses teammate Travis Green on the lips.

After a goal, Islanders’ Zigmund Palffy kisses teammate Travis Green on the lips. The coach’s reaction: "We believe in camaraderie but that’s taking it too far." -- Rick Bowness

"The first thing I noticed about him was that he was born the same year I was drafted. ... That's a pretty scary thought." -- Al MacInnis comments on a Blues’ rookie

"You know what? I did! I impressed myself just making it." -- Brett Hull wWhen asked who impressed him the most when he broke into the NHL

"If they’re going to allow guys to wear helmets, they should at least force them to round the edges." -- Rick Chartraw after a fight with Paul Holmgren and gets 5 stitches to the right hand

"I am not afraid to stop the puck with my head. I try to do it sometimes even in practice; not everyday but once in a while, I say to my teammates, shoot me in my head and I’ll try to stop the puck. I am not afraid at all of the puck, so sometimes, if the shot comes at my head, it’s an easier save to make with your head. Maybe the people think a different way, but for me, I do it with my head." -- Dominik Hasek

"If one of my players ever wants to hit me, he better do it really hard because otherwise, I’ll find a rock, a stick, or a piece of wood and believe me, it’s gonna be a brawl..." -- Pat Burns comments on the incident where Latrell Sprewell of the the NBA tried to strangle his coach

Quotes found in the archives of Canuck's Corner.

3 Comments:

At August 20, 2006 at 12:13 p.m. , Blogger Temujin said...

"The first thing I noticed about him was that he was born the same year I was drafted. ... That's a pretty scary thought." -- Al MacInnis comments on a Blues’ rookie

He ws talking about Barrett Jackman, I think. I seem to recall that one.

When Ray Bourque won the cup in Colorado, it was a similar situation with the Alex Tanguay (who I think scored the game/cup winning goal). Tanguay hadn't been born when Bourque played his first season.

 
At August 20, 2006 at 5:26 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

Tanguay put 2 in that night, crazy.
And Ray was still a great player when he retired.

 
At August 20, 2006 at 5:28 p.m. , Blogger Sean Zandberg said...

"Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesnt mean I'm not a nice person."-Jeremy Roenick

That's my fave! What a jagoff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Waiting For Stanley was created in June 2006.